We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Large number of images
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Large number of images (Read 979 times)
Large number of images
Dec 8th, 2009, 2:37pm

I am looking to make a photo gallery that handles large numbers of images (say 1000) and displays them for browsing in a 3D environment. All of the image loading that I have done in processing thus far has been slow. What would be a good way to do this?

Thanks!
Re: Large number of images
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2009, 7:57pm

Maybe describe how you're doing the loading so others may give you some suggestions. IMO, 1000 images, even in vga resolution will likely drain system memory so slow you down.
Reply #2 - Dec 9th, 2009, 1:26am

Don't try to load all that stuff in setup. Load your images when needed.

You'd better find out which images are visible in your 3D viewport, then load them in a separate thread (so your applet won't hang). A search on "separate thread" will give you some tips on how to do so.
Reply #3 - Dec 9th, 2009, 1:43am

antiplastik wrote on Dec 9th, 2009, 1:26am:
load them in a separate thread (so your applet won't hang). A search on "separate thread" will give you some tips on how to do so.

See also requestImage().
Reply #4 - Dec 9th, 2009, 2:08pm

Thanks all.
What I am trying to do is load a large library of my pictures and be able to navigate them in 3D space (fly through them, zoom all the way out to see all of them, zoom in to see detail). The pictures displayed will be dynamic based on selection criteria.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1