We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › getting search-terms from google
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
getting search-terms from google (Read 1160 times)
getting search-terms from google
Dec 8th, 2009, 1:36am

Hallo

Is it possible to get terms that google users are searching for on google.com into the processing invironment? For example, if someone is looking for the term "heaven" in google, my processing scatch gets a message like: "someone was looking for "heaven".

I took a look at the google and yahoo! librarie, but it seams that it is only possible to get searchresults for a specific search-term.

It's the first time I use processing for network-stuff. So I don't now what the possiblitys are exactly. So what kind of api or librarie should I use for my needs?

If you need further information about my project or if my question is not clear, don't hesitate to ask ;)

Thanks for help in advance
wun
Re: getting search-terms from google
Reply #1 - Dec 8th, 2009, 2:02am

The idea is original, but probably not usable. I doubt Google expose such information, just because you probably have hundred of searches with a given word per hour, if not per second (think words like 'flu' or 'christmas' just today...). At best you would have consolidated statistics (per day, per month...).
Beside, the Web doesn't work like that: you don't have servers "pushing" informations to clients (ie. making an alert on an event), you have clients "polling" servers to see if there is something new to get.

Now, Google offers lot of API to query its services, perhaps you can find something interesting to do with it. There might be tutorials on the Web for an easier approach.
Reply #2 - Dec 8th, 2009, 2:02am

Processing will allow you to call external API and get the results as XML, for instance. This thread might help :
http://processing.org/discourse/yabb2/num_1212001148.html

What kind of information can you get from these APIs It all depends of what they decided to make available, and Processing can't help that.

Quote:
For example, if someone is looking for the term "heaven" in google, my processing scatch gets a message like: "someone was looking for "heaven".

I think there is no way to get the real-time search trends you describe. And if there were, your hardware wouldn't be powerful enough to process this HUGE amount of data (try to imagine how much search queries are made each second on Earth : well, you can't process that at home).
Reply #3 - Dec 8th, 2009, 2:16am

at google they can Smiley
http://infosthetics.com/archives/2006/06/ambient_display_googleplex.html
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1