We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › ribonkit: design optimization (prototype)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
ribonkit: design optimization (prototype) (Read 2692 times)
ribonkit: design optimization (prototype)
Nov 29th, 2009, 8:40am

Hi all.

I've uploaded an early prototype of what i'm working on on my blog.

"ribonkit can be thought of as an experiment that attempts a interpretation of abstract networks of relationships, which in the case of ribonkit are graphs, to potentially corresponding materials organizations.

Based on this principle, ribonkit attempts to draw from optimization theories such as Particle Swarm Optimization and Ant Colony Optimization with an aim of:

1. Exploring the properties of their spatial manifestations, in a purely abstract relationship-based implementation.
2. Investigating and evaluating different possibilities of employing such approaches for the design optimization of physical objects.
3. Coming up with a design environment that is well defined yet abstract enough to allow users/designers to conceive and visualize materials organizations and products which are based on the manipulation of their defining relationships."

You can check out the post here:prototy.blogspot.com. Applet here: xconst.freeshell.org/applets/ribonkit.

I'd be very interested on any feedback.
Re: ribonkit: design optimization (prototype)
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2009, 3:43pm

Fixed some problems with the applet, should work on all browsers now hopefully...
Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2009, 12:29am

Yiannis your work is an outstanding source of inspiration.  Smiley

Cheers
GC
Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2009, 12:55am

Very nice!

rS
Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2009, 5:56pm

Thank you for your comments.
Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2009, 5:50am

nice work!  i'm very interested in models that represent design ideas on a more abstract level.  is this purely speculative or related to a design case?
Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2009, 7:20am

Very cool... could something like this be used to create the type of effect seen on the Playstation3 background?  Would love to see someone recreate that, sparkles and all. Smiley
Reply #7 - Dec 7th, 2009, 9:07am

nice work yconst.
Reply #8 - Dec 7th, 2009, 9:12am

jeffg, is this the effect you mentioned http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCPOob3Bya4

you might be able to do it with mixed/different waves along the x axis and slowly moving by time or using a noise function.

this might work as reference: http://pixelnerve.com/p5/  (check the wave effect)
Reply #9 - Dec 7th, 2009, 9:37am

Yes!  Though I like the updated one with sparkles... would love to see that effect as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iT6j8wySK1M
Reply #10 - Dec 7th, 2009, 9:39am

i would setup a particle system that spawn particles randomly across the waves. the sparkle could be done using some sine for the alpha value.
not sure i'm convinced to try it.. yet
Reply #11 - Dec 8th, 2009, 3:03am

Thanks all for commenting.

@introspector: It is not based on any specific design case, the arrangement is just an example that served as a testing ground for testing the initial performance of the engine. Applying it on specific cases is a basic purpose though.

I was actually thinking of setting up a few "benchmark" configurations, standard arrangements whose optimal spatial configurations are already known, in order to investigate the engine's behavior.

@jeffg: Maybe, but I believe that there are far more suitable methods to do that. For example, my first guess would be to set up a cloth system and apply a sinusoidal displacement of different amplitude and frequency on the edges, so that it changes as it vibrates. Sparkles could be made as V said.
Reply #12 - Dec 27th, 2009, 10:56am

looks great yconst.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1