We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › PortaMod - MOD/XM/S3M playback and interaction
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
PortaMod - MOD/XM/S3M playback and interaction (Read 1528 times)
PortaMod - MOD/XM/S3M playback and interaction
Nov 22nd, 2009, 5:29pm

With a certain amount of nervousness and trepidation...I present the first public alpha release of my Processing library for tracked module music formats, PortaMod:

crayolon.net/portamod

It started as a Processing implementation of IBXM, a bare-bones (but high quality) pure Java replayer engine made by Martin Cameron some years ago. I've added a whole load of features and callbacks in order to offer something that people can use as a soundtrack system for their Processing sketches or even as a performance/interaction/DJ/VJ tool.

For example, I made this dual-deck module DJing app with my library - crayolon.net/chipdisco/chipdiscodj/ - featuring some cool stuff like headphone cue-mix through secondary audio device, MIDI control, loading tunes from remote servers (when signed), etc.

I love Processing because it's lightweight, but since I'm a long-time Amiga musician, it breaks my heart to have to include (relatively) huge big mp3s when all I really need is, say, a snappy 3kb chiptune. I'm hoping this will increase Processing's usage in the Demoscene and amongst all sorts of ageing nostalgics Wink

Right now, though, I'm sure there are bugs and that there's tidying to be done. Well, there's definitely loads of tidying to be done - I want to release the source soon, but I also want to retain my dignity by making it less grotesque.

Any testing/suggestions/queries warmly welcomed - I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Cheers,
/brendan

(sorry about the URLs - I'll come back and linkify them when I've made a few more posts and proven myself to be normal!)
Re: PortaMod - MOD/XM/S3M playback and interaction
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2009, 5:41pm

This looks great. I havent worked alot with music and audio but i am sure this is useful and a great addition to the processing libraries.
Reply #2 - Nov 22nd, 2009, 8:23pm

hi brendan, would love to take a look at what you have been working on so far, the lib is compiled with java 1.6 would you happen to have a java 1.5 compiled version? that would be great.
Reply #3 - Nov 23rd, 2009, 3:40am

Hi andreas,

Cheers! I've recompiled the library for 1.5 (should have done that in the first place!) and uploaded it. I also removed the exported applets from the distribution, so it's now a nice compact 396kb Wink

If you've any other tips for good practice in library distribution/maintenance, I'm all ears. I'm sure there's something critical I've forgotten to do...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1