We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsWebsite,  Documentation,  Book Bugs › Position IS a vector (PVector math documentation)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Position IS a vector (PVector math documentation) (Read 1848 times)
Position IS a vector (PVector math documentation)
Nov 21st, 2009, 9:31pm

I just wanted to comment that you have no need to make apologies about position being described as a vector since position IS a vector.  Check out any physics book.  It is defined as the vector that points from the origin of the coordinate system (your choice to define it, and the upper left corner in the case of processing) to the location described by the position.  Without the position being a vector, velocity doesn't even make sense (nor acceleration) since they are both related to the change of position over time.  

Anyway, I just wanted to mention this not for the sake of instruction, but just so that the documentation can be corrected when whoever is in charge of it has the time to do so.  By the way, I'm rather new to processing, and am loving it!

Dr T
Re: Position IS a vector (PVector math documentation)
Reply #1 - Nov 22nd, 2009, 3:12am

The apology probably has something to do with the homogenous coordinate system often used in computer graphics.  In that coordinate system, positions (vertices) must be considered points, rather than vectors, for certain matrix transformations (e.g., translation) to work as expected.

You are correct though, the documentation seems to be discussing position in a physics context.
Re: Position IS a vector (PVector math documentation)
Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2010, 6:55am

Thanks for this comment. I'm currently working on a PVector tutorial for the site which addresses this point exactly.    When this is posted I should update the PVector reference page as well.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1