We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionEvents,  Publications,  Opportunities › Generative-Gestaltung / New Processing book
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Generative-Gestaltung / New Processing book (Read 5709 times)
Generative-Gestaltung / New Processing book
Nov 5th, 2009, 10:26pm

I wanna take the chance and introduce a new Processing book some friends of mine just released. it offers you a lot of examples that teaches you how to use processing in your design process. Starting with Color, form, Type, Images and much more. It is not focused on teaching programming but more on how to use programming in your design. So it is a great addition for everyone who already owns one of the processing books by casey or dan.

This is what the puplisher said about the book :
Quote:
For a few years now, generative design has been an insider tip at media art festivals and conferences. An interplay of complex information, graphic design and the opportunities provided by programming generate new, fascinating visual worlds that can visualize correlations and concurrences or allow chance to do the designing. We are experiencing a paradigm shift in design, which leads to new, formal visual worlds. Yet, the essence of this shift remains hidden to many: the possibilities of programming languages as well as processing will change the role of the designer. Until now, designers used the tools developed for them by programmers, meaning that the persons doing the designing adapted themselves to the system. Generative design transforms design-schooled users of digital tools into programmers of their own individual digital toolbox. This opens up new visual vistas and fundamentally alters the design process. In the first stage, the artisan aspect takes a back seat and is replaced by abstraction and information; capturing the meta-level. So, generativedesign does not begin with formal questions, but with the recognition of phenomena.

This book sadly is just available in german at the moment. But they offer the possibilitie to email them and let them know that you are interested in an english version. http://www.typografie.de/product_info.php?products_id=954&language=en
Re: Generative-Gestaltung / New Processing book
Reply #1 - Nov 8th, 2009, 12:53pm

Thanks for posting this information. I just discovered the book through fjen last week and I'm extremely excited about it. The website has some nice code examples and images. I'll be posting it to the site more formally in the next few weeks.
Reply #2 - Nov 15th, 2009, 4:54am

Thanks for the heads up, seems interesting! Smiley

I went to the site and emailed for an english version. Hopefully more people will do so and they'll translate it.
Reply #3 - Nov 24th, 2009, 8:44am

C'mon we need more requests for the english version, I want my copy!

rS
Reply #4 - Nov 25th, 2009, 8:19pm

I just received a copy of Generative Gestaltung a few hours ago. I'm stunned. The book is extraordinary. The design clear and refined and the printing quality is fantastic. This is the book I've been waiting for. (I can't read German so I can't comment on the text.) Great work Hartmut, Benedikt, Julia, and Claudiaus!
Reply #5 - Nov 26th, 2009, 12:04pm

nice one
Reply #6 - Nov 28th, 2009, 10:05am

Wow! It is amazing! I just checked the website with the examples and everything and...... really, it seems fantastic!!

Do you know how long it will take to become in english? if not I would have to take my german books again Tongue

Reply #7 - Nov 28th, 2009, 2:56pm

this wont happen withing the next half year i guess. but if more people sign up and email them, they will hopefully hurry up and translate the book. its really worth the effort.
Reply #8 - Dec 9th, 2009, 5:07pm

Wow.  I'm blown away.  I signed up for the English version.  In the meantime I'll browse all the sketches on the website.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1