We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionEvents,  Publications,  Opportunities › Suggestions for a one hour Processing talk
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Suggestions for a one hour Processing talk (Read 1208 times)
Suggestions for a one hour Processing talk
Nov 4th, 2009, 9:55pm

Hi all...

I have to give a one-hour intro talk on Processing to a bunch of web developers. This will be a basic overview of what typical Processing programs look like, how the IDE is laid out, etc. I also want to demo a number of cool examples.

I would welcome any suggestions and advice on what aspects of the language to talk about, and what demos to show.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Suggestions for a one hour Processing talk
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2009, 8:27pm

Two suggestions:

1) concentrate on the low-barrier, experimental sketching approach that Processing encourages

2) point out how you can use a service's (Twitter, Flickr, NYTimes, etc) API to produce richer and varied interfaces to familiar products
Re: Suggestions for a one hour Processing talk
Reply #2 - Nov 10th, 2009, 8:28am

Yes, what i learned was, that people are "impressed" if you build up a programm from the start. Lets say beginn drawing different shapes, then a whole set of them. but then suddenly connect them to the webcam, or a Sudden motion sensor, or something they dont expect at this point.
using an api would be another option.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1