We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Monitor not rendering squares as squares
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Monitor not rendering squares as squares? (Read 1721 times)
Monitor not rendering squares as squares?
Oct 30th, 2009, 2:23pm

I just started using a new monitor (Belinea) at home and have realized that some animations I've made using square dimensions are not actually square on the screen. Does anyone know if this is common? I'm using 1024x768 resolution, but I get the same kind of result with 800x600. When I open screen grabs in a photo editor they're clearly listed as having square dimensions but again, are not, so it's apparently not the fault of Processing. Can fix this?
Re: Monitor not rendering squares as squares?
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2009, 12:13am

Is this a LCD or a CRT monitor?
One of the first thing I do when I sit in front of a new CRT monitor is to open Paint (or equivalent), draw a square as big as possible, and use a small sheet of paper as rule for verify it is actually square.
Most often than not, it is not square, so I have to tweak the monitor's control (on the device itself, depends on model) to fix image position and dimensions.

This should not be necessary for LCD monitors, I think.
Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2009, 7:14am

It's an LCD, PhiLho, and a new one.
Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2009, 7:34am

Then go back to vendor and ask for a refund! Smiley
Or for an explanation.
Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2009, 9:53am

hi

take a screen shot, then mesure the number of pixel of your square.
if X pixel== y pixel then the problem is in the monitor.
if X pixel != Y pixel then the problem in processing or such.

are you using the monitor in its native resolution ?
what is the monitor native resolution and what is its aspect ratio ?
have you checked the video drivers for some kind of scaling/ auto strech mode ?

note that 1280 * 1024 resolution is not 4/3 as 1024*768 or 800*600. so if your monitor has a native resolution of 1280*1024 that could be the problem.

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2009, 12:44am

mots made good remarks!

Unlike CRT monitors, LCD monitors has a native resolution, a physical number of pixels corresponding to the number of color units on the surface of the screen. That's often 1280x1024 on 17" monitors.
If you use another resolution, not only the aspect ratio might be altered, but also you probably see a blurred image, as some logical pixels will land between two physical pixels. (Unless you use exactly half the native resolution...)
Check your doc for the physical resolution... and stick to it.
Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2009, 10:32am

Thanks. It seems that is was an issue of native resolution, which is 1280 x 1024. I had it set at 1024 x 768. Now there's only a millimeter or two of discrepancy, which I suspect I'll not be able to fix (unless you have some ideas). Note that this is on a Mac Pro tower, so accessing video drivers I don't think is an option.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1