We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Code to play a secuance of images
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Code to play a secuance of images ? (Read 1572 times)
Code to play a secuance of images ?
Oct 23rd, 2009, 4:46am

Hi , i tried to do a simple program to play a sequence of images, but i had no luck , im just a newbie and i ended up with just many useless code,

do you know if there is some code somewhere that i can reuse to play my image sequence ?

thanx!
Re: Code to play a secuance of images ?
Reply #1 - Oct 23rd, 2009, 6:07am

The Question about PImage syntax. thread looks like a good starting point...
Reply #2 - Oct 23rd, 2009, 9:23am

Do you have an image-sequence-playing mission, or a want-to-learn-Java/Processing mission

I wrote something in C++ using openFrameworks that plays image sequences, and I had lots of problems (such as not being familiar with C++ and writing multithreaded code). The "Weather Projection" project had a requirement to play back timelapse footage of sunrises from around the world, and, as there were thousands of images, they had to be loaded in real-time, not in some setup stage.

I created a separate thread to do the image loading (and decoding) so that the program could continue with "smooth" animation the whole time (or at least most of the time!), and the program will "drop frames" if things are going too slowly (I didn't know in advance how fast the image sequences would need to be played back - and they were variable depending on a time schedule!).

If you're brave you can look inside the code... And there's an executable so you can see it running, though you might have to supply some setup data and images - you'll need an "if" (image folder) entry in the schedule file.

Link: weatherProjector

-spxl
Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2009, 10:39am

What i always do when people ask about playing image sequences is to point out the useful animated gif library that is available for processing. Thats sometimes all they are looking for.

http://processing.org/discourse/yabb2/?num=1199371244
Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2009, 10:41am

PhiLho, looks like he was the one asking the same question in the thread you mentioned. and looks like i already mentioned the gif library there. Looks like we are repeating ourselfs Smiley
Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2009, 12:20pm

No, for me, it was a wink... Wink Kind of ironical.
I felt there was no need for a new thread.
Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2009, 2:07pm

Sure it was not. I just didnt get it at right away
Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2009, 2:25pm

PhiLho  wrote on Oct 23rd, 2009, 12:20pm:
No, for me, it was a wink... Wink Kind of ironical.
I felt there was no need for a new thread.

Agreed...  But if you don't get the answer handed to you on a plate in one thread, why not start another   Roll Eyes
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1