We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
DMX/Audio Interference (Read 966 times)
DMX/Audio Interference
Oct 14th, 2009, 4:16am

Hopefully this is the right spot to be posting this - if not, please feel free to move it.

I have been working on a project that is using the ENTTEC DMX USB PRO and ran into a strange interference problem: when certain lights are at full brightness, they begin picking up a pulse that seems to be attached to the music being played.

It probably easier to watch the video, rather than try and describe the problem (this is just a rehearsal video and it's only the first minute or so that goes according to plan - you can see the issue well at 1:20)... Edit: I haven't posted enough to be able to use links yet - if anyone needs to see the video, I can PM a link.

My instinct is that it's a signal crossing issue, but I'm not sure where it's happening - the external hardware/cables etc, or somewhere inside my machine. The data I'm getting in Processing doesn't show the jump in values.

Here is my setup...
Audio: Wii remote --> OSCulator <--> Ableton Live --> Powered Speakers
Lights: Wii remote --> OSCulator --> Processing --> DMX USB Pro --> DMX Dimmer Box --> Lights

I'm also using a MacBook Pro if that makes a difference when it comes to issues drawing power.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1