We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOther Libraries › controlP5, what causes event
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
controlP5, what causes event? (Read 1548 times)
controlP5, what causes event?
Oct 12th, 2009, 3:12am

I'm using controlP5, and in my event handler I need to be able to tell if an event was triggered by the user interacting with the GUI, or by some other code in the program doing a .setValue() call on a controller.

Is there a way to do this??
thanks!
Re: controlP5, what causes event?
Reply #1 - Oct 12th, 2009, 3:59am

ah, well after reading many messages, I found I can use the undocumented .setBroadcast() function to enable/disable setValue from triggering an event.   controlP5 is a very nice library, but too bad the documentation is so poor and incomplete.
Reply #2 - Oct 20th, 2009, 1:40pm

mickle wrote on Oct 12th, 2009, 3:59am:
controlP5 is a very nice library, but too bad the documentation is so poor and incomplete.

this prety much happens with all libraries, developers should spend more time writing documentation, some of us cannot spend hours looking to source code or poorly explained javadoc stuff...
Reply #3 - Oct 21st, 2009, 12:15am

Quote:
some of us cannot spend hours looking to source code or poorly explained javadoc stuff...

While I don't disagree with the fact that good doc and examples are useful, remember that library authors have limited time too (and probably not much taste for writing, but that's another thing).
I guess that most libraries are born out of a particular need for the author and they kindly had the idea to share it with the rest of the world, for free.
Sometime they come with full service (good JavaDoc, lot of examples), sometime they are kind of naked...
Somehow, most libraries are open source, so in the spirit of OSS, people first suffering with a library should contribute some information about it... Smiley
Apparently this site will have a nice new Wiki section, I think it will be a good place to share such information.
Reply #4 - Oct 21st, 2009, 2:55pm

0p0 wrote on Oct 20th, 2009, 1:40pm:
this prety much happens with all libraries, developers should spend more time writing documentation, some of us cannot spend hours looking to source code or poorly explained javadoc stuff...

Sorry to jump in on this (PhiLho just mentioned this thread elsewhere) - but the above quote is pretty much the most thankless attitude one can have towards open source culture. Only because people are putting out stuff in the open in the help for others to potentially benefit from, doesn't oblige them to provide extensive handholding too. Don't confuse open source with a charity. If you can't spend hours trying to understand it, just don't use it and adopt a tool which comes with better documentation instead. Most of us don't work fulltime on our libraries, yet still try to be as helpful as we can. But really, more than often there're other pressing things to be solved. The whole point open sourcing is to spread the load of creation, testing, debugging, documenting etc. over many minds. Open source is about participation, not consume!
Reply #5 - Oct 21st, 2009, 3:29pm

I absolutely have to agree with Toxi and PhiLho, although I wish to have a better documentation with some libraries I use. I am really thankful for every library people offer cause other then you argue, they save everybody of us so much time and offer alot of new possibilities. Just think about writing your own physic librarie for example and you will realize it.
Reply #6 - Oct 21st, 2009, 6:15pm

toxi wrote on Oct 21st, 2009, 2:55pm:
Sorry to jump in on this (PhiLho just mentioned this thread elsewhere) - but the above quote is pretty much the most thankless attitude one can have towards open source culture. Only because people are putting out stuff in the open in the help for others to potentially benefit from, doesn't oblige them to provide extensive handholding too.

It's not about being thankless, I did'nt mean it that way, and I am sorry if it seems like that, I do am really thankful for every lib I use and the rest that is out there, making our lives much easier, my point is that putting a couple semi-detailed doc comments is not that hard and time consumming, because most of us are not pro developers who understand OOP or Java out of the box, many of us are just beginning in this world and examples and detailed documentation are the best way to teach us.

Again, my apologies if my first response looks like one from a spoiled kid.

@PhiLho:
Wiki on the site AWESOME! that would just solve a lot Cheesy

peace!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1