We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › problem with proMidi plug method
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
problem with proMidi plug method (Read 587 times)
problem with proMidi plug method
Oct 9th, 2009, 2:08am

Edit: TLDR:

How do I bind the plug method to a method of an object? Something like:

Code:

Foo f = new Foo();
midiIO.plug(foo, "noteOn", 0, 0);

class Foo {

void noteOn(Note note){
println("note received");
}
}

-----

Hi guys - long time listener, first time caller:

I'm having some trouble with the plug method of the proMidi 2.0 library. I am trying to plug a method of a class "Ship" to receive noteOn messages, but I keep getting the "Error on plug: >noteOn< You can only plug methods that have a MidiEvent, a Note, a Controller or a ProgramChange as Parameter"-exception. I understand the exception, but I don't understand why - the callback-method does have a Note as a parameter...

Some code:

stjernetur.pde-snippet:
Code:

import promidi.*;

Engine engine;

void setup(){
 randomSeed(1337);
 frameRate(30);
 colorMode(HSB);  

engine = new Engine();

engine.setupRenderer();

engine.addHunter(300, 1200, 400, 800, 1, 1);

engine.bindMidiToShip(0, 1);

}

Engine.pde-snippet:
Code:

class Engine {
 MidiIO midiIO;
 ArrayList ships;  

Engine(){    
   midiIO = MidiIO.getInstance();

ships = new ArrayList();
 }

void addHunter(int xPos, int yPos, int xGoal, int yGoal, int direction, int midiChannel){
   Hunter h = new Hunter(xPos, yPos, xGoal, yGoal, direction, midiChannel);
   ships.add(h);
 }

void bindMidiToShip(int shipId, int midiChannel){
   midiIO.plug((Ship) ships.get(shipId), "noteOn", 0, midiChannel);
 }

}

The "Hunter" is a subclass of the "Ship"-class, which I want instances of to be the callback objects for the proMidi-plug method. The callback function looks like this:

Ship.pde-snippet:
Code:

class Ship {

//Code removed

public void noteOn(Note note){
   println("note on " + note.getPitch());
   int notePitch = constrain(note.getPitch(), 0, 255);
   shoot(color(notePitch, 200, 200));
 }
}

So, to clarify, I have a "Ship"-class with the subclass "Hunter". I also have an "Engine"-class which produces and stores "Hunter"-instances in a ArrayList.
With a call of the "bindMidiToShip"-method I want to make a "Hunter"-instance the callback object of the plug-method, but I keep getting the "You can only plug methods that have a MidiEvent, a Note, a Controller or a ProgramChange as Parameter"-exception, even though the method specified has a Note type as a parameter.

I am probably just confused on the subjects of callback-objects and method, but I can't seem to wrap my head where the error is.

Please let me know if I should post more code.

Cheers, krqluld
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1