We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Out of Memory Error when using Eclipse
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Out of Memory Error when using Eclipse (Read 908 times)
Out of Memory Error when using Eclipse
Oct 1st, 2009, 2:23am

Hello,
My sketch loads a bunch of images. It loads them fine when running from the Processing app, but I get an OutOfMemoryError when I try to run it from Eclipse. Any ideas?
thanks,
-Morgan
Re: Out of Memory Error when using Eclipse
Reply #1 - Oct 1st, 2009, 9:29am

Eclipse is eating lot of memory itself!
But well, I would look into memory settings of your Run configuration...
Run parameters like -Xms and -Xmx
Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2009, 12:17am

Thanks. I have -Xmx1024M as one of the program arguments and that doesnt' seem to have worked. I'll fiddle around some more.
Reply #3 - Oct 2nd, 2009, 1:43am

I found the page Java Virtual Machine (JVM) - Re: Maximum acceptable heap size interesting, as I was wondering what is the maximum we can set on this parameter.
The main advices are to avoid to allocate more than the available physical memory, taking in account an overhead.

I don't know how much memory you have, but this is good to keep in mind.

Found another page of interest: JVM Tuning. Talk about server side but the remarks are interesting anyway.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1