We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOther Libraries › opening dxf file on adobe illustrator cs3
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
opening dxf file on adobe illustrator cs3 (Read 1452 times)
opening dxf file on adobe illustrator cs3
Sep 28th, 2009, 10:31pm

When I export an dxf file such as

import processing.dxf.*;//import DXF library

//8x11" in pixels
int width=8*72;
int height=11*72;

void setup() {
 size(width, height, P3D);//use P3D renderer for DXF
 noLoop();//draw only once
}

void draw() {
 beginRaw(DXF, "output.dxf");//start writing to file

//begin drawing
 for(int i=0; i<10; i++){
   for(int j=0; j<10; j++){
   line(0, height/10*i+j*9, width/10*j, height/10*i+j*9);
   }
 }
 //end of drawing

endRaw();//stop writing to file
}

and try to open the file in adobe illustrator cs3 (mac) it only shows up as text. I found a program that can view it, but it can't save the file in again as dxf so that I can open it in adobe illustrator. Does anyone know how to open exported dxf files in AI?
Re: opening dxf file on adobe illustrator cs3
Reply #1 - Sep 29th, 2009, 2:00am

Are you sure you can open DXF files in Illustrator? (Maybe, I just don't know...)
People rather use the PDF exporter for this task. AFAIK, DXF is 3D while Illustrator is 2D, so PDF is more adapted to the task.
Reply #2 - Sep 29th, 2009, 5:08pm

the problem with PDF is that I can not edit the individual lines to certain specifications so that the lazer cutter can read it.

such as 0.1 lines, and very specific colored lines such as 0,0,255 or 255,255,0

do you know a way so that exported pdf can maintain line/shape information

thanks.

Ive managed to open the DXF file after I saved it in rhino as a dxf again and then open it in adobe illustrator. (weird) That's the same case with my instructor. Though all the dxf file viewers I have manage to find either can't save as DXF and keep lines/shapes for AI, or it is only a trial with very limited saves.
Reply #3 - Sep 29th, 2009, 5:41pm

you can easily prepare your lines for lasercutting and export them as a pdf.  You can open it and selec all lines and change the width to 0.1 the colours could already be predefined in processing.
Or i maybe get you wrong. but i have used processing generated pdfs for laser cutting in the past.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1