We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Screen Refresh Rate
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Screen Refresh Rate (Read 2378 times)
Screen Refresh Rate
Sep 17th, 2009, 9:17am

I've noticed this for a while but now it's starting to get on my nerves...

I'm getting a weird refresh flicker in the processing screen with a running draw loop.

It's really noticeable in a sketch with a black background and lots of moving shapes...

It's like every few seconds a kinda transparent horizontal line /screenslit moves vertically up the screen... like the refresh of the screen or something.

I never noticed it before using processing. Though if I think about it it's been like it since I've had my new machine...

Macbook Pro 10.5.8 , 2.4 ghz core 2 duo...

Is it Java maybe? Do I need to change a setting somewhere...

I can't see anything to do with refresh rate in the OSX Display Preferences...

Anyway, no biggie, but kinda distracting/annoying on the eyes having a sketch doing this at me all the time...

Undecided
Re: Screen Refresh Rate
Reply #1 - Sep 18th, 2009, 9:09am

I noticed it as well after my upgrade to a new MacBook Pro with Snow Leopard.  At the moment, I'm chalking it up to poor OpenGL implementation in SL, but perhaps it's something else.  In any case, Processing performed better on my old MacBook Pro running Leopard than my new setup.
Reply #2 - Feb 22nd, 2010, 9:18pm

Does someone have an answer for this thread? I also have this problem for a long time ago .. and thats really anoying Smiley

thanks
Reply #3 - Feb 23rd, 2010, 5:55am

Apple is on the verge of releasing 10.6.3.  One of the primary focus areas for this release is Graphic Drivers and to address compatibility issues with OpenGL-based applications.  So I'm hoping this may address some of the issues we're having with SL.

One other area regarding the Screen Refresh Rate is documented on the Processing buglist. Ben has submitted a report to Apple (#7671837).
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1