We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Unable to run anything
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Unable to run anything (Read 2473 times)
Unable to run anything
Sep 5th, 2009, 8:36pm

So I'm new to Processing.  I have some experience with Java, but it was many years ago.  I downloaded and installed the latest version, but I'm not able to run anything.  I tried a blank file, a simple line(), an example program, and I keep getting the following message:

Code:

Could not run the sketch.

[0] "Unrecognized option: -d32"
[1] "Could not create the Java virtual machine."

Using startup command:

{command=command=java -d32 -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,address=127.0.0.1:8289,suspend=y -Xdock:name=sketch_sep05b -Djava.library.path=:/Applications/Processing.app/Contents/Resources/Java:/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/JavaApplicationLauncher.framework/Resources:.:/Library/Java/Extensions:/System/Library/Java/Extensions:/usr/lib/java -cp /tmp/build8449133547020162308.tmp:/Applications/Processing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/pde.jar:/Applications/Processing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/core.jar:/Applications/Processing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/antlr.jar:/Applications/Processing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/ecj.jar:/Applications/Processing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/registry.jar:/Applications/Processing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/quaqua.jar:/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Classes/.compatibility/14compatibility.jar processing.core.PApplet "--editor-location=1135,122" --external --display=1 --sketch-path=/tmp/untitled2288840213417491220.tmp/sketch_sep05b sketch_sep05b , quote=quote=", address=address=127.0.0.1:8289}

I'm running OS X 10.4, Java 1.5.

I've been searching the web and the forum all day, but can't seem to solve the problem.  Hopefully it's not something too obvious..

Any help would be appreciated.  Please let me know if I can provide any other information.

Thanks!
Re: Unable to run anything
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2009, 2:15pm

i have had the same problem, and have tried to update java and reinstall processing to no avail.
i second the help .
thanks readers
Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2009, 2:28pm

Java links can get broken in OSX when installing a JVM manually instead of using the OSX update function.  Found that out the hard way.  What is the result when you type:

java -version

in terminal?
Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2009, 2:50pm

Here is the result of java -version:

Code:
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_19-b02-306)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_19-138, mixed mode, sharing)

I have not, as far as I can remember, installed a JVM manually.  I haven't done much tinkering with java on this machine at all.
Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2009, 2:55pm

Darn, that's exactly what I get, on my OSX PPC running 10.4.  No clues there.  Can you run others' Processing sketches, online  E.g. http://benhem.com/games/seeds
Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2009, 3:04pm

Yep; the sketch in that link worked just fine (and was very cool).
Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2009, 3:40pm

Well, then there's nothing wrong with your JVM.  Which makes me think it must be Processing, but I'm sure you've tried reinstalling that...
out of curiosity...I will put up Processing 0135 for Mac OSX here (uses Java 1.4) :

http://benhem.com/dumpage/Processing0135.zip

does that work  (glad you liked seeds by the way)
Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2009, 7:23pm

Actually, yes, 0135 did work.  I'm excited and confused a the same time.

I have reinstalled the latest build several times without luck.  So I went and tried 1.0.6, and tada!  That works fine.

so I guess I can just stick to 1.0.6 right now, unless there's some reason I need to be on the very current version.

Thank you very much for all of your help!  I'm sure I'll be back for more later Smiley
Reply #8 - Sep 10th, 2009, 10:36am

I just grabbed 1.0.7 and got the same error:

[0] "Unrecognized option: -d32"
[1] "Could not create the Java virtual machine."

So I went back to 1.0.6.  Ben, Casey, if you see this: I think you may have traded PPC for Snow Leopard!
Reply #9 - Sep 11th, 2009, 7:37am

Here's a "me too": I'm in the New Media department at a university, and a lot of people have been having this problem on Tiger and Leopard. I've repeated it on a Dual G5/2 GHz/4GB/10.4.11, but 1.0.7 works fine on my MacBook Pro running 10.6.1.

On the G5, downgrading to 1.0.6 made it work again.
Reply #10 - Sep 18th, 2009, 4:43am

another me too... trying to setup processing  on 1.0.7 in a gallery here on a 10.4.11 aluminium iMac/2.4GHz.

Just tried 1.0.6 but the DMG seems to have no libraries or examples.

(need more sleep... 1.0.6 working fine)
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1