We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpElectronics,  Serial Library › Error inside Serial.ports() in exported app
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Error inside Serial.ports() in exported app (Read 4910 times)
Error inside Serial.ports() in exported app
Aug 31st, 2009, 8:19am

Hi all
The code below works when running in PDE
but when I export it as an application
I get the exception "Error inside Serial.ports()".
Using Processing 1.0.6 on OSX 10.5.8.

Any ideas as to why?

Code:

import processing.serial.*;

PFont myFont;

void setup() {
 size(500, 200);
 myFont = createFont("FFScala", 12);
}

void draw() {
 try {
   Serial.list();
   background(0, 255, 0);
 } catch (Exception e) {
   background(255, 0, 0);
   textFont(myFont);
   text(e.getMessage(), 20, 40);
 }
}
Re: Error inside Serial.ports() in exported app
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2009, 9:58pm

I got the same....

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Applications/Processing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/serial/library/li
brxtxSerial.jnilib:  no suitable image found.  Did find:  /Applications/Processing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/serial/library/li
brxtxSerial.jnilib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper thrown while loading gnu.io.RXTXCommDriver
java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Applications/Processing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/serial/library/li
brxtxSerial.jnilib:  no suitable image found.  Did find:  /Applications/Processing.app/Contents/Resources/Java/libraries/serial/library/li
brxtxSerial.jnilib: no matching architecture in universal wrapper
     at java.lang.ClassLoader$NativeLibrary.load(Native Method)
     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary0(ClassLoader.java:1861)
     at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadLibrary(ClassLoader.java:1778)
     at java.lang.Runtime.loadLibrary0(Runtime.java:823)
     at java.lang.System.loadLibrary(System.java:1045)
     at gnu.io.CommPortIdentifier.<clinit>(CommPortIdentifier.java:83)
     at processing.serial.Serial.list(Serial.java:554)
     at cc.arduino.Arduino.list(Arduino.java:139)
     at MIDI_arduino3_LDR2.setup(MIDI_arduino3_LDR2.java:40)
     at processing.core.PApplet.handleDraw(PApplet.java:1383)
     at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:1311)
     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637)
Exception in thread "Animation Thread" java.lang.RuntimeException: Error inside Serial.ports()
     at processing.serial.Serial.errorMessage(Serial.java:588)
     at processing.serial.Serial.list(Serial.java:569)
     at cc.arduino.Arduino.list(Arduino.java:139)
     at MIDI_arduino3_LDR2.setup(MIDI_arduino3_LDR2.java:40)
     at processing.core.PApplet.handleDraw(PApplet.java:1383)
     at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:1311)
     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:637)
Reply #2 - Dec 20th, 2009, 5:20am

BTW, the problems started with Snow Leopard which I recently installed. My Processing is 1.01. Help please!
Reply #3 - Dec 20th, 2009, 9:03am

Solved it! First, I had Processing 1.01. Installed the latest, 1.0.9, got different errors... Then realized I only have java1.6 (go to utilities->Java Preferences). Following this http://wiki.oneswarm.org/index.php/OS_X_10.6_Snow_Leopard procedure which restored Java1.5 (requires password,when you type it cannot be seen...jut type it and hit return), went back to Java Preferences and set things to java1.5 32 bit. Problem solved.
Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2010, 2:47pm

I'm having this problem with any serial communications from Processing.  I even tried using the SimpleWrite example and got the same error.  The line it highlights is "String portName = Serial.list()[0];" and the error says: "Error inside serial.ports()"  For some reason I can't copy the total error output, if anyone knows a way to fix that I'd appreciate that too.

I'm running Kubuntu 9.10 and I updated Java to the latest version.  I tried searching for this error, and everywhere I looked said to upgrade Processing.  I was already running the latest version, and I even tried upgrading to a Pre-Release version, to no avail.  No matter what I do, I keep getting the same error.  The problem doesn't occur under Windows Vista, but is constant under Linux.

Any ideas?
Thanks
Reply #5 - May 20th, 2010, 3:45pm

I have the same problem..

Help..
May 20th 2010 3 45pm
Reply #6 - Nov 22nd, 2011, 8:24am

Welcome back to playing this crazy game we love so much

You could wait until the new EP Generations comes out and see if challenges will be introduced again since well be getting memories back in that EP.  Itll be out May 31, 2011 here in North America so not too long to wait now
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1