We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Applet Error
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Applet Error (Read 2762 times)
Applet Error
Aug 30th, 2009, 4:51pm

Hi all
I get the following error when i try to run my program as an applet

java.lang.NullPointerException
     at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.findAppletJDKLevel(Unknown Source)
     at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager.createApplet(Unknown Source)
     at sun.plugin2.applet.Plugin2Manager$AppletExecutionRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
     at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

Can anyone help me understand what's going wrong?

Thanks!
Re: Applet Error
Reply #1 - Aug 31st, 2009, 2:18am

No idea, but to get the ball rolling, you should indicate which system you have (Win/Mac/etc.), what browser you use, what Java version is installed on your system.
Reply #2 - Aug 31st, 2009, 6:08pm

Right, sorry...

I'm running JRE 6 and JDK 1.6.0_16 on Windows. The problematic app is a simple twitter search thingie that uses twitter4j (which, of course, has to be added to the sketch).

It runs fine through Processing but I can't get it to function as a browser applet in Chrome, IE or Firefox . Initially the java error message said that TwitterException.class was missing, so I created that file from TwitterException.java and dropped it into the requested directory. Perhaps there's something wrong with that .class file?

Any suggestions?

Thanks again.
Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2009, 1:39am

A classical error when going from standalone application to applet is to forget to sign the jar, when the applet accesses external resources (files, other Web sites...).
If you did this step, I am not sure what to check.
Reply #4 - Sep 3rd, 2009, 6:48pm

Thanks PhiLho.
I didn't sign it. Should i simply use jarsigner.exe to sign it?
Reply #5 - Sep 4th, 2009, 1:31am

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2009, 11:40am

Victory! Thanks very much PhiLo  Smiley
Reply #7 - Sep 22nd, 2009, 7:52am

same issue here but that didnt solve it, any ideas???
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1