We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Electricity
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Electricity (Read 957 times)
Electricity
Aug 23rd, 2009, 7:27pm

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to create an electricity type effect?  I'd like to take a line for example and then electrify it.  I'd also like to take a image and then surround it with such an effect.  Any ideas?
Re: Electricity
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2009, 8:51pm

The lightning bolts in Wayfarer are made by dividing a line into a number of sub-lines (lerp does fine)...every point but the beginning and end is offset by a random amount to create the zigzag, and it's re-scrambled each frame to make it look "live."  Each node also has a chance to sprout small sub-forks.
And for a glowing effect, each line is composed of a wide line that's semi-transparent, and a thinner opaque line on top.
--Ben
Re: Electricity
Reply #2 - Aug 24th, 2009, 1:12am

I dont know what you ve got in mind. And depending on if you need it to be dynamic or just for a Headline etc i would think about creating some typo and save it as transparent png. there are a lot of Electricity or Lightning Text Effect tutorials available for Photoshop. Maybe you can save them in different states with different values to get an animation... or combine it with a text in processing and just overlay a lightning effekt

Like i said i dont know what your goal is, but sometimes it might be easier not to do everything with coding...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1