We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Sending emails & adding libraries...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Sending emails & adding libraries... (Read 869 times)
Sending emails & adding libraries...
Aug 20th, 2009, 6:35am

Alright, I just downloaded processing for the first time, and I'm having zero luck trying to accomplish two simple tasks: Add a library, then use that library to send emails.

I'm used to the Arduino developing environment, so whenever I've needed to add a library I just dropped it in \arduino\hardware\libraries and whola, the next time I reload the arduino software, my new library is listed in the "Import library" menu.

What I'd like to do is add the JavaMail API libraries so I can use smtp to send emails.

JavaMail located here: java.sun.com/products/javamail/
(Apparently I'm not allowed to post links until I've made at least 5 posts - sorry.)

Could anyone lend a hand?????
Eric
Re: Sending emails & adding libraries...
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2009, 7:17am

http://www.shiffman.net/2007/11/13/e-mail-processing/
Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2009, 9:59am

Thank you Cedric, but I've already seen that link. It's very informative, but it doesn't help me with my incredibly simplistic problem of adding libraries.

Eric
Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2009, 3:39pm

Just drag the .jar file into your project window and you should be good to go.
Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2009, 4:10pm

doesnt it have to be in a code folder in the sketch folder ?
Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2009, 5:57am

Well when you drag-and-drop files into your sketch window, it adds it to the sketch folder. To be more specific, dragging a .jar file into the sketch window will add it to a "code" folder, instead of data. I did this when using Twitter4J. I just dragged in the .jar, added the proper import statements, and I was good to go. I'm assuming the same will work here.  
Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2009, 6:05am

oh, ok didnt know processing does that by itself. even better
Reply #7 - Aug 21st, 2009, 12:37pm

Thank you NoChin and Cedric! That was brilliantly simple. Now why on Earth couldn't I find that anywhere??? I'm glad you mentioned the twitter4j library as well - that seems like it could be very useful!

Eric
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1