We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › driving
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
driving (Read 1213 times)
driving
Aug 13th, 2009, 5:21pm

please check out and comment on my latest series of videos - driving - http://bit.ly/19r3wQ
Re: driving
Reply #1 - Aug 14th, 2009, 9:59am

Hi mzellers.

I think these photos are not concrete enough to give me an actual picture of driving but not astract enough to give me any thought or feeling about anything. For me it's mostly something slow.

I liked the video I watched most at 1:14 (some bridge or something), where the contrast is neat. I think I miss a dynamic feeling (and maybe colours and brightness/contrast slightly different). Keep on working and good luck!
h
Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2009, 1:58pm

thanks for the feedback
Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2009, 5:29pm

I like this kind of video.  made me think of a daily commute that leaves a trace of memory but at the same time permanency.  the only thing i didn't like was the american flag right in the middle.  not to be unpatriotic but it calls too much attention to itself and seems unrelated/distracting.  unless you wanted the piece to have a specific comment on "America"
Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2009, 6:23pm

thanks for the feedback

re: the inclusion of the flag - nope - no rhyme or reason - the flag was in a picture so it got included - the video randomly picks among a bunch of images - if you ran it again it might not appear... of course, in a way, though unintentional, after i saw it it did have some meaning to me - not in a flag waving sense, bit driving is a big part of america, and the shots are where i am from - and i think representative of my part of the usa - so, if anything i'm ok with it for that reason.... the one thing i like about doing this sort of work - generative - with randomness - is the viewer really does complete the work - through interpretations - to be sure, i stack the deck by including the pics i want and creating the algorithm - but some is left to chance...
Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2009, 6:58pm

but the one I saw was a prerecorded youtube so it couldn't be different each time
Grin
Cheesy
Undecided

anywho I was looking at your site and I really like your photographic pieces such as this one and Depression.
Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2009, 8:25pm

ah - ok - yes the youtube videos represent captures of a few runs and as such are fixed- the runs themselves were random - i captured a few and posted them - mainly for visibility on youtube and in case the java versions gave anyone grief- given this, i didnt deliberately include the flag, but didnt deliberately exclude it...

thanks for the kind words - i really enjoy doing this and really appreciate the feedback
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1