We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Processing and Flash
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing and Flash (Read 2103 times)
Processing and Flash
Aug 7th, 2009, 12:01pm

Hello,

Is it possible to run processing code in Flash? To be honest, I'm not really exactly sure what I'm asking. Here's the situation:

The guy that worked here before me, who is way way way more advanced than me with Processing, made a program that displays cluster utilization here at work.

We have a series of Plasma screens that run dynamically updated Flash movies.

I know I'm way out of my depth with both Processing and Flash, but I've been tasked with figuring out how to get the Processing program to run on Flash so it can be displayed on one of the plasma screens. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Re: Processing and Flash
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2009, 2:51pm

It is theoretically possible (after all, one have made Processing in JavaScript!) but it would be a greater job than rewriting the application...
Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2009, 10:31pm

maybe the frocessing? http://www.libspark.org/wiki/nutsu/Frocessing/en
Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2009, 1:52am

Look at the top of the code for the setup() method.

Look for the size() method in its code block.

If you see the word OPEN_GL, you're screwed. There's no way you can get Flash to run that fast.

If the work is in 3D but not running Open GL, then Frocessing seems like a good bet.

However, a lot of syntax simply won't translate from Java to Flash.
Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2009, 5:46am

st33d, most of these Processing Implementations aim to offer a similar interface, with similar simplicity and perhaps same functions, etc. Not necessarily to run all the Examples out of the box without changes.
Look at the Ruby implementation, it simply can't have the same syntax. Processing.js can use the same syntax because JS isn't that far from Java (so is AS). But obviously the latter just dropped the 3D stuff because it is hard to do and probably too slow in pure JavaScript.
Not to mention usage of the libraries... Smiley
Yet, that's nice to see alternative implementations. Can be seen as toys, or as a mean to be more pervasive, etc.
Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2009, 10:06am

Don't get me wrong, I think it's admirable porting Processing to other platforms. For Java and Javascript there's genuine advantages to the syntax and to performance. But the important thing about this particular task is whether the previous guy's sketch accessed any hardware, because owing to Adobe's security restrictions that's a bit of an issue in Flash.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1