We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › gamma correction for fade values of an led
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
gamma correction for fade values of an led? (Read 634 times)
gamma correction for fade values of an led?
Jul 22nd, 2009, 3:23pm

I am using processing via arduino to control an led. The led has a 10bit register for pwm values (i.e. linear control of pwm amount).

Linear changes in pwm value do not correlate to linear changes in perceived change in brightness. (I think this is an issue of luminance vs. brightness)

What is the best function to use instead?

For now I am simply approximating using y=X^2.5/1023

where 2.5 is my gamma correction exponent
and 1023 is the max. pwm register value

From what I can tell so far this is called Gamma correction and there are some equations I have come across but do not totally understand.

Re: gamma correction for fade values of an led?
Reply #1 - Jul 23rd, 2009, 1:21am

It is more a question for the Electronics section of the forum than a syntax question... (which obviously means "any question" to most people anyway).
I haven't made electronics in ages... Does all the LEDs have the same response curve? If not, you should look at the specifications of your kind.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1