We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › clear or blur pixels with transparency
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
clear or blur pixels with transparency (Read 773 times)
clear or blur pixels with transparency
Jul 17th, 2009, 5:08am

Hi.
I am trying to make a movie with transparent background(with alpha value) out of processing.

But do you know how to erase the screen with transparency?

I only know how to wipe black or white through sort of "background(0,0,0,1);" within draw,,,, but that is not what I want.

Is there anything like "clear();" or something like that in processing?

Also, I am using fast blur that I found from the internet, and I realized that it was blurred into black and what I need is actually to just add alpha value without dipping into black. The following address is where I got the code.

incubator.quasimondo.com/processing/superfast_blur.php

Is there anyone who could modify this for me so that I can use it as alpha blur?

Re: clear or blur pixels with transparency
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2009, 6:33am

jeanhochu wrote on Jul 17th, 2009, 5:08am:
I am trying to make a movie with transparent background(with alpha value) out of processing.

Before we go anywhere else, are you sure it is possible What video format supports that

Quote:
But do you know how to erase the screen with transparency

Draw on a PGraphics (other than g), it has transparency by default.
Reply #2 - Jul 17th, 2009, 9:31am

dont know what your plans are but if you need the transparent video for later editing and composing maybe it would be possible to render an extra alphachannel video only using white shapes without any shadows etc for later masking your video, cause i cant think of any video format that supports transparent video
Reply #3 - Jul 17th, 2009, 10:34am

From what I understand, the background() statement for Processing ignores the alpha value.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1