We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
The Future of Ess (Read 1191 times)
The Future of Ess
Jul 9th, 2009, 12:34am

Hi all,

I'm the neglectful developer of Ess. Despite my occasional statements to the contrary, it looks like I really won't have time in the foreseeable future to fix bugs, add features, etc.

Even though the library hasn't been updated in 3 years I still get a steady stream of Ess-related e-mail, so it must be useful to someone! (I hope.)

I'm happy to distribute the source and notes of what needs fixing (accumulated over the last 3 years). Does anyone have any interest in open sourcing the thing?

This is long overdue, but a really hectic work schedule and a nonexistent commitment to JavaSound on the part of Sun (a bit of a buzzkill) have made it difficult to  give the library as much attention as it probably needs.

Please feel free to post a reply or e-mail me with thoughts, etc.

Krister
Re: The Future of Ess
Reply #1 - Jul 9th, 2009, 2:30am

updates to ess would be really welcome. nasty fft lag bug has prevented us from using it more in the past. which is a shame since ess has a clean way of rendering videos of sketches, if only the fft response wasnt off. but i digress. have you considered making the lib open source? perhaps it would be the best way to go?.. just couple cents. and thanks for all your work on the lib to begin with. Smiley
Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2009, 2:38am

I'd be happy to open source it. I held off for a while (too long) because I kept making excuses about wanting to clean up the code.

I don't really have much familiarity with setting up a repository and all the other things that go along with open sourcing.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply #3 - Jul 14th, 2009, 2:52am

i havent ever setup an open source project. but people seem to be migrating from sourceforge to this http://code.google.com/projecthosting/

im abit anti google (paranoid with privacy data concearns) but this seems like a stable platform for open source projects.

if you have your own server and a not very healthy appetite for handling server config issues you can also try to get svn and trac working and then just a pick a license.

one usually also requires a mailinglist or forum to motivate devs and possibly handle the folks who would really like to one day have a manual, but since this is processing related, you could probably nudge fry or reas to have a subforum or specific thread hosted in here somewhere to handle that. saves you spam filtering nuissance.

just some cents, im no expert in open source projects.
looking forward to seeing ess develop Smiley
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1