We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › GameZero - my processing/jbox2d applet game
Pages: 1 2 
GameZero - my processing/jbox2d applet game (Read 4032 times)
GameZero - my processing/jbox2d applet game
Jul 8th, 2009, 5:21am

Hi everyone,

First off, thanks to all the devs working on this library, its awesome.

I'm making a game using processing, opengl, jbox2d, minim and inkscape.

It can be found here:
blissfulthinking.nl/gamezero

The more compatible, software rendered version is here:
blissfulthinking.nl/gamezero_software

Its far from complete, but going along nicely.

Greets,
Michiel
Re: GameZero - my processing/jbox2d applet game
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2009, 5:47am

Hey, this is really cool! The hardware rendered one went much faster for me. I'll try on another computer.
Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2009, 8:28am

Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

The weakest setup I have tried it on was a Ubuntu > Pentium Celeron 1,5 Ghz > ATI something card, and the OpenGL mode ran supprisingly ok. The sounds was a bit warped though.

I suppose the software mode needs a beefy CPU. On my Turion x2 1,9 Ghz it is sometimes fast, sometimes slow and that is without smooth().

Although, the game is very unoptimized, probably.  Wink
Reply #3 - Jul 8th, 2009, 11:12am

This is very impressive. I really enjoy the retro graphical style, and everything was very smooth and polished. I could see possibly adding a multiplayer aspect to the game so you can battle your friends. Very expandable! Great work. Smiley
Reply #4 - Jul 8th, 2009, 2:12pm

Nicely done!
I thought: oh no, another using the dreaded wsqd key combination! Then I saw you anticipated and provide a switch to Azerty configuration. Well done!
I still find the mode of movement a bit hard to use. But it is still enjoyable.
Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2009, 3:30pm

Shagler wrote on Jul 8th, 2009, 11:12am:
This is very impressive. I really enjoy the retro graphical style, and everything was very smooth and polished. I could see possibly adding a multiplayer aspect to the game so you can battle your friends. Very expandable! Great work. Smiley

I would love to make it multiplayer but currently I have the idea that the use of JBox2D makes this nigh impossible for me to achieve.  Embarrassed

Instead I will focus on a interresting story driven single player and a additional challange mode with time trials, points/survivor mode, maybe even races. Anyone could pick up Inkscape and make levels for it. Should be doable to make it upload to leaderboards.

On a general note:
Pressing R resets the test, the game now also shows this.
The 'Alternate control scheme' you get after pressing 'A' in the pause screen (press 'P' for it) means that your ship moves in the exact direction. So A is up, D is right etc.

Thank you all for testing my game!  

Reply #6 - Jul 21st, 2009, 12:00am

I have made some significant upgrades to the work in progress:
-Raycasting algorithm has enabled the following: enemy vision, enemy pathfinding and breakable geometry
-Graphics are parsed more directly from Inkscape so the result is more WYSIWYG
-Paralax movement on graphics for depth effect
-Better UI

Press '0' (thats zero) in the game to have a look under the hood.  Tongue
Reply #7 - Jul 21st, 2009, 1:19am

Brilliant!!! nice work

May I ask for how long have you been working on this game?

Cheers
rS
Reply #8 - Jul 21st, 2009, 8:08am

I started work on this version in february but only developed it in the late hours. Since a month or so I have been working on it almost non-stop  Cheesy

In hours time I would estimate I have logged some somewhere between 200-300 on this.

This was the earliest conception somewhere in 2007:
geocities.com/mvdanker/gameapp/gameapplet.html

I stopped developing that when the collision detection became to much for me to handle.

Between those times I developed the control- and camera-system on paper.

Most of it was emergent in the development though.
Reply #9 - Jul 23rd, 2009, 3:07pm

hi!
this seems very neat but I can only get the earliest version to work. The software-rendered fails to load but the normal one tells me "Applet started", then it's just white and no more.

Any idea? I want to try your game.
h
Reply #10 - Jul 24th, 2009, 1:52am

hampus wrote on Jul 23rd, 2009, 3:07pm:
hi!
this seems very neat but I can only get the earliest version to work. The software-rendered fails to load but the normal one tells me "Applet started", then it's just white and no more.

Any idea I want to try your game.
h

Hmm, what operating system, java version and browser are you currently using

Loading can take a very long time also. Are there any hidden dialogs which need a response (check with ALT-TAB in Windows)
Reply #11 - Jul 25th, 2009, 4:51pm

I am using mac osx with latest java. I've tried both firefox and safari, and let the game load for many minutes.
Reply #12 - Jul 26th, 2009, 8:13am

hampus wrote on Jul 25th, 2009, 4:51pm:
I am using mac osx with latest java. I've tried both firefox and safari, and let the game load for many minutes.

Thank you for being so persistent  Smiley It seems the latest Java for OS X is sadly not the latest version Linux and Windows computers run. Correct me if I'm wrong but I have read somewhere that Java 6 Update 10 is needed to run the JNLPAppletLauncher, which is currently required for the hardware version of my game. OS X does not support this version, yet.

I will prepare a new version of my game with the older JOGLAppletLauncher and possibly the LWGLAppletLauncher. I very much hope that all systems can be supported by these means.

I will inform you through this board when I have done so, I hope to work on it today.

Thank you.

Ok, I found out I might be very wrong.  Huh

Could you please check this page to see if it works properly:
https://jogl-demos.dev.java.net/applettest-joal.html

Thank you.
Reply #13 - Jul 26th, 2009, 4:53pm

michiel wrote on Jul 26th, 2009, 8:13am:
[quote author=636A667B7E78696E79656F7F7864650B0 link=1247055683/11#11 date=1248565905]I am using mac osx with latest java. I've tried both firefox and safari, and let the game load for many minutes.

Thank you for being so persistent  Smiley It seems the latest Java for OS X is sadly not the latest version Linux and Windows computers run. Correct me if I'm wrong but I have read somewhere that Java 6 Update 10 is needed to run the JNLPAppletLauncher, which is currently required for the hardware version of my game. OS X does not support this version, yet.

I will prepare a new version of my game with the older JOGLAppletLauncher and possibly the LWGLAppletLauncher. I very much hope that all systems can be supported by these means.

I will inform you through this board when I have done so, I hope to work on it today.

Thank you.

Ok, I found out I might be very wrong.  Huh

Could you please check this page to see if it works properly:
https://jogl-demos.dev.java.net/applettest-joal.html

Thank you.

EDIT:
I have updated my deployment a little bit, now hosting the jnlpAppletLauncher myself.
Reply #14 - Jul 27th, 2009, 2:27pm

Hello!

This test-applet works fine, excepts for the sound.
You don't have to put too much hard work to make this work for me, finnish the game and make it compatible for mac later.

Good luck!
h
Pages: 1 2