We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Suddenly PApplets crash Firefox
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Suddenly PApplets crash Firefox (Read 1096 times)
Suddenly PApplets crash Firefox
Jun 22nd, 2009, 5:04pm

I recently moved my website onto a new web server, and all of a sudden, attempting to load any of my applets in Firefox 3 for Mac crashes it.  These applets work perfectly in Safari and other browsers.

Maybe something changed recently in Firefox (I updated to 3.0.11) or Java (via OS X Software Update)?  Or could my recent web server move have to do with it?

Here are two examples of applets that crash Firefox, but work in other browsers:

A signed applet that uses OpenGL:
http://alignedleft.com/projects/2009/ColorMapper/applet/

An unsigned, simple applet that uses regular P2D:
http://alignedleft.com/projects/2008/Anticipation_Study_1/applet/

I just checked the Console, and there are a ton of error messages generated by Firefox during the crash.  Two that seem relevant are pasted below.  Any thoughts?

6/22/09 4:52:11 PM firefox-bin[369] Apple AWT Internal Exception : sun.misc.ServiceConfigurationError: javax.imageio.spi.ImageInputStreamSpi: Provider com.sun.media.imageioimpl.stream.ChannelImageInputStreamSpi not found
at sun.misc.Service.fail(Service.java:129)
at sun.misc.Service.access$000(Service.java:111)
at sun.misc.Service$LazyIterator.next(Service.java:273)
at javax.imageio.spi.IIORegistry.registerApplicationClasspathSpis(IIORegistry.java:
188)
at javax.imageio.spi.IIORegistry.<init>(IIORegistry.java:120)
at javax.imageio.spi.IIORegistry.getDefaultInstance(IIORegistry.java:141)
at apple.awt.CToolkit.registerDefaultServices(CToolkit.java:1300)
at apple.awt.CToolkit.<init>(CToolkit.java:140)
at apple.awt.MyCToolkit.<init>(MyCToolkit.java:67)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(NativeConstructorAccessorI
mpl.java:39)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingConstructorAccessorImpl.newInstance(DelegatingConstructorA
ccessorImpl.java:27)
at java.lang.reflect.Constructor.newInstance(Constructor.java:494)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:350)
at java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:303)
at java.awt.Toolkit$2.run(Toolkit.java:833)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.awt.Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit(Toolkit.java:804)
at sun.plugin.viewer.context.WebKitAppletContext.<clinit>(WebKitAppletContext.java:
20)
at jep.AppletHandlerFactory.callRegisterNatives(Native Method)
at jep.AppletHandlerFactory.initProperties(AppletHandlerFactory.java:254)

6/22/09 4:52:11 PM firefox-bin[369] *** Terminating app due to uncaught exception 'JavaNativeException', reason: 'sun.misc.ServiceConfigurationError: javax.imageio.spi.ImageInputStreamSpi: Provider com.sun.media.imageioimpl.stream.ChannelImageInputStreamSpi not found'
Re: Suddenly PApplets crash Firefox
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2009, 12:55am

Neither of those links crashed Firefox (3.0.11) for me, though I'm running Windoze XP...
Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2009, 4:08am

The problem isn't on the server, it is on the client side. Looks like an update of Java (at least the version used by Firefox) removed some Sun proprietary API...
Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2009, 4:40am

Maybe it's the same problem they're having with Arduino on Mac.
Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2009, 9:49am

Super, thanks.  Glad it works for you on Windows.

I also found this thread:

https://support.mozilla.com/tiki-view_forum_thread.php?locale=hu&comments_parent...

Looks like maybe this is a just a Java issue, and all I can do (besides reverting back to prior versions -- major headache) is wait for an update.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1