We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › VisualVM / Processing / Eclipse
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
VisualVM / Processing / Eclipse (Read 1561 times)
VisualVM / Processing / Eclipse
Jun 22nd, 2009, 4:55pm

Hi,

I am trying to get visualvm working with eclipse and processing.  I haven't had any luck. When my application launches I see sun.applet.AppletViewer inside visualvm but once I click it it locks up for about a minute, then shows me the profiler screen as expected.  When I try and do a CPU test I see almost no useful methods.  Seems like the actual processing class is opaque to the profiler?  Any tips, advice, etc would be appreciated (also that freeze is kind of odd?).

Regards,
Re: VisualVM / Processing / Eclipse
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2009, 9:52pm

Sorted it out.  A few things that might help others:

VisualVM and Eclipse appear to talk over a socket, the delay before was because my antivirus software was interfering with the socket being established.  Now when my eclipse project starts I see:

Profiler Agent: Waiting for connection on port 5140 (Protocol version: 8)
Profiler Agent: Established local connection with the tool

So, that all works well.

The second thing is, before I do a CPU profile of the sun.applet.AppletViewer application in VisualVM I have to check 'Settings' on the Profiler tab. Then under CPU Settings add processing and my namespace to the "Start profiling from classes:" section.  So that goes something like:

sun.applet.**
processing.core.**
org.fieldsofnoise.**

Of course these should be limited to whatever you are actually interested in profiling.

So, there you have it, I now have VisualVM working nicely with Eclipse and Processing, I'd recommend it to others to help profile performance bottlenecks.

Regards,
Grin
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1