We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › strobe; integration/refresh-rate challenge...
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
strobe; integration/refresh-rate challenge... (Read 2614 times)
strobe; integration/refresh-rate challenge...
Jun 21st, 2009, 5:39pm

Hello my knowledgeable new friends!

I am attempting a VERY simple program; a simple "strobe" (which I will be expanding to be a more interactive/dynamic program for a projection/VJ kinda thing).  However I'm having an issue with a foundational aspect - maybe you could help? (Code below...)

The applet simply creates a certain sized screen, then changes the background from black to white at a certain rate. The PROBLEM is that the resulting blink is not regular like a strobe, but is JERKY and annoying.

Yes, I have tried closing all the other programs running, and, no, the tiny li'l applet does not seem to ever use more than about 30% of my CPU.  The screen refresh rate is 60Hz, and I am trying to get a blink of 10Hz. Thus, the slightly awkward timing; 33ms white, 67ms black.

I guess this is more of a system-integration problem (using MacBook OSX 10.4.something w/ Intel chip.) than a code problem. Maybe. Here's the code.
---------------------------------

color c1 = #000000;
int i = 0;

void setup(){
  size (1250,750);}

void draw(){
if(i == 0){
   c1 = #000000;
   i = 1;
   delay(67);}
else{
   c1 = #FFFFFF;
   i = 0;
   delay(33);}
background(c1);}

-------------------------------
THANKS!
Re: strobe; integration/refresh-rate challenge...
Reply #1 - Jun 21st, 2009, 10:08pm

delay() is useless in the way you use it: draw() will draw something only at the end of the function, after the two delays.
You have to watch the time in draw() and when reaching some milestones, you change the background.
No time right now to show how, but I can help later if you need.
Reply #2 - Jun 21st, 2009, 10:48pm

hmm, i thought of something like this :

void setup(){
size(300,300);
}

int strobeSpeed = 3;
void draw(){
background(0);
if(frameCount%strobeSpeed==0)background(255);

}

it kinda works, but its not a steady blinking as i expected it to be...
Any Idea, why that is PhiLho ?
Reply #3 - Jun 21st, 2009, 11:48pm

[quote author=192120052126490 link=1245631176/1#1 date=1245647317]delay() is useless in the way you use it: draw() will draw something only at the end of the function, after the two delays.

Thanks for the advice, PhiLho.

I don't know if the problem is there - it delays only once, depending on i's current value, and then draws the background after the if function, then loops to hit the other delay. If it were useless there would be no blinking at all...

I know my code is amateurish - I'm always looking for better ways!
Reply #4 - Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:01am

Sorry, I looked too fast and was disoriented by your way of placing closing braces. The delays do not accumulate, actually.
The sketch is OK (can be improved, but functional) after all.
The issue is more in the way Java draws the image: it does that immediately, regardless of screen state.
It would be better if it was synchronized on screen refresh rate (some games are able to detect when monitor restart a screen sweep), although I don't know if it applies to LCD screens (I have a CRT one).
I tried to use OpenGL (parameter of size()), it is slightly better but not perfect.
Reply #5 - Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:18am

Cedric -

Nice code - I hadn't figured out how to use frameCount before. But as you noticed, it is still quite jerky.

I noticed that if I put "frameRate (30);" in the setup (of my initial code) the problem seems to get a little bit better, although not yet perfect.

On the bright side, if you define a very high framerate and increase the stobeSpeed variable in your code you can get what look like almost completely random and spasmodic blinking. New ways of deriving randomness are always interesting - it seems to have something to do with the poor interfacing between the monitor display and Processing.

Still stumped...
Reply #6 - Jun 22nd, 2009, 12:24am

Nice PhiLho -

We both honed in on defining frameRate independently - must be something there. I don't think LCDs have a screen sweep - the pixels simply stay at the state they are in until they are told to change. The refresh rate is the rate that the CPU communicates those changes to them. I guess this is in large part a problem unique to each computer in which the code is executed...

I'll try to work on making my code more canonical. Thanks...
Reply #7 - Jun 22nd, 2009, 1:14am

Hmm, i thought about it again, its probably because of the Hz of your Screen, if it doesnt sync it maybe skips some frames and thats why it doesnt look like a steady blinking. Dont know if finding the right framerate will help here...
Reply #8 - Jun 22nd, 2009, 11:24am

For LCD display there are three Hz at play, other than the Hz defined in the code.

1. Is the rate at which the CPU communicates changed to the screen.
2. Is the blinking of the light behind the screen that the LCD pixels filter - this is usually very high, maybe 600Hz.
3. Is not really Hz, but is the response time of the pixels, the time it takes for them to change from open to closed, perhaps about 10 milliseconds.

The only other time than may have to be factored in is, 1; the time it takes for the CPU to process the code (short though it is) and  2; convert the data into instructions for the screen. Not sure of the architecture of this process, but the activity monitor reports this applet using about 20-30% of the CPU. Most of that must be #2.

I am not sure whether this trouble with creating a consistent strobe is due to mismatching Hz in the display, or whether the CPU cannot prepare the data quickly enough. My guess is the first, as making a very small screen size (which would reduce the information sent to the screen) does not rectify the problem.

OK. Now everyone can laugh at my poor understanding of how computers actually work... I'm laughing at myself... But it's obvious to me that this issue goes beyond writing code.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1