We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › How to write a Visualizer to sync to an Audio file
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
How to write a Visualizer to sync to an Audio file (Read 2015 times)
How to write a Visualizer to sync to an Audio file
Jun 13th, 2009, 12:01pm

Hi,

I am completely new to Processing, but have some what of a programming and music background. I am very interested in finding out how to sync different graphics and visuals to an audio (.mp3 or .wav) playing similiar to what the iTunes visualizer does. My first question is how can Processing be used to create something like this? Also, how can a processing sketch be syncronized to different audio files playing at different tempos? Does the processing script need to analyze the audio file ahead of time to detect repetitions to determine the beats per minute or something similiar? If anyone can help share some example code to do this that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Re: How to write a Visualizer to sync to an Audio file
Reply #1 - Jun 14th, 2009, 4:03am

see the minim examples in the library

it lets you get at both the waveform values and the frequencies that make up the sound and you can assign these values to objects in your visualisation.

yes, it can do it in realtime but in practice there's generally some lag.
Reply #2 - Oct 19th, 2009, 12:30am

I am interested in this as well...would be great to hear more about how this can be done.
Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2009, 5:02am

see the minim examples in the library

it lets you get at both the waveform values and the frequencies that make up the sound and you can assign these values to objects in your visualisation.

yes, it can do it in realtime but in practice there's generally some lag.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1