We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › Programming "time" for a sequencer
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Programming "time" for a sequencer (Read 499 times)
Programming "time" for a sequencer
Jun 13th, 2009, 5:19am

Hi,
I want to use Processing to build a sequencer interface. I'd like to use it with other programming languages such as SuperCollider or PureData, but I also want the possibility to load samples.

I'm not sure if I have to use Processing just for the GUI and then program the logic of the sequencer in SuperCollider or if I have to use SuperCollider just as a synthesis engine.

I think it would be better to manage the time aspects of the sequencer directly in Processing, but I have no idea where to begin. Do you have any suggestion or can you point me to some tutorial or something?

This sequencer is not going to be a normal step sequencer with a single timebar advancing step by step. The idea is to program some sort of "time relationship" between sound onjects. For example: I have the sample of a snare and another one of a kick, I link this two sounds with a 1 second gap and I play them in sequence.

Maybe what I need is not a Processing specific tutorial for building sequencers, but just to learn the general concepts behind this.

Thanks for you help,
bye
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1