We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Determining if Processing will work for me
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Determining if Processing will work for me (Read 811 times)
Determining if Processing will work for me
Jun 11th, 2009, 2:22pm

Hello,
This is my first post and I was hoping for some feedback regarding using Processing for my project.

I want to doing scatter plots, graphing and Parallel Coordinates... can't post a link yet since this is my first post but Google (full_papers/tricaud/tricaud_html)

Initially the data will be read from a MYSQL database - all filtering and data selection will be done by the data queries / filters. Mainly there will be up to large number of data points that will need to be displayed over time. This may get up to 10,000 points.

Q. Can Processing handle large number of data points in a reasonable time. For example if there are 10,000 points to be shown in a scatter plot that is updated every 2 seconds? 5 seconds?

Q. The second phase will be reading streaming data from the network in real time.

Q. If I do a scatter plot and stop any updates to view that particular moment in time can the user be able to select a region or an individual data point and have associated information come up?

Q. Is there any references to performance for Processing - how to optimize display speeds?

I use 10,000 as an arbitrary number but it would give an idea of the volume of data that could occur - it may be as little as 1,000 data points per second.

The project is working with specific network metrics that are distilled and formatted by a proprietary program.

My background is that I have done some scripting quite some time ago but no C, C#, C++, JAVA etc and I came across Processing through looking at books at the bookstore.

My overall concern (based on ignorance at this stage) is the performance of Processing. I have looked through many of the exhibits and like the functionality / flexibility shown and hope that there is a good chance that Processing is the right choice.

I appreciate anyone's comments, input, feedback in helping make the decision.

regards,
Re: Determining if Processing will work for me
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2009, 2:15am

The thread Graph layout for a large number of objects might give you some elements of answer.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1