We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Pages: 1 2 3 
SMS (Read 16989 times)
SMS
Jun 7th, 2009, 9:36am

I am trying to write a processing app that can receive an SMS. Has anyone done this? If so can you give me some advice.
Re: SMS
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2009, 12:30pm

Check this out : http://code.google.com/p/smslib/
http://www.bryanchung.net/?p=293
if it works please let me know. Do you use a mac or pc ?

Best
Cedric
Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2009, 7:50am

i have compiled the smslib and got brian's sample to work.

ive placed the library and the example online for you.

lib:
www.pixelnerve.com/downloads/processing/smslib/smslib.zip

example:
www.pixelnerve.com/downloads/processing/smslib/SMSconnect.zip
Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2009, 3:02pm

Thanks. that is great. What phone did you use? i only own a PDA that has bluetooth but im not sure if it will work. I couldnt find a list of supported phones somewhere...
Reply #4 - Jun 8th, 2009, 3:37pm

ok got it : http://code.google.com/p/smslib/wiki/Compatibility#Compatible_GSM_Modems/Phones
Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2009, 5:18am

ive used sony ericsson w810i + bluesoleil bluetooth..

bad thing.
it has deleted my msgs from the "modem", in other words.. my phone.. so dont get it working without checking the code for the delete call =)
Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2009, 7:09am

Hey V. i just took a quick look at your sketch. How or where are the SMS stored? is there any kind of database? Do i have to write something like that myself,  or is it reading the SMS from the Phone all the time. So is it important how many SMS the Mobile Phone can save?
Im thinking about buying an old cheap phone cause it doenst work with my smartphone.
Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2009, 7:17am

the sms are stored in an arraylist after being downloaded from the phone. it then deletes it from the phone.

the app keeps looking for new incoming, so when u get a new sms it will automatically show on your screen and again delete from the phone.

you might want to keep a copy of the sms in your phone but i dont think that is sumtin you'd like to do. a phone can save alot of sms but its alot limited than a pc.

check the list of compatible phones at smslib website and get one. shouldnt be too expensive to get one that works.

have fun
Reply #8 - Jun 19th, 2009, 7:30am

Oh ok, that sounds good. So if i get them in an array list, i can easily save them to a txt file or into a database so they dont get lost after the programm exits.
Reply #9 - Jun 19th, 2009, 7:31am

ofcourse
Reply #10 - Jul 5th, 2009, 12:13pm

I get the following error when trying to compile the example sketch:
Quote:
This version of Processing only supports libraries and JAR files compiled for Java 1.5.
A library used by this sketch was compiled for Java 1.6 or later,
and needs to be recompiled to be compatible with Java 1.5.

I am using the latest version of Processing 1.05 and I am on OSX
Any ideas?
Reply #11 - Jul 5th, 2009, 1:29pm

yes, the problem is just like the error messages says. mac and java 1.6
i have recompiled the lib to 1.5, download it from the sample place, same file.

have fun.
Reply #12 - Jul 7th, 2009, 6:03am

Alright, today i got a Siemens S55 i wanted to connect to the SMSlib to get started. But i just cant get it working. Victamin, im using your example mentioned above...

First, there is the part where i have to enter my phone
gw = new SerialModemGateway( "0001E33A563D", "COM4", 57600, "Siemens","S55" );

0001E... is the name of my phone that is entered in the phone itself and shown by bluesoleil. So i guess the connection works and thats right.

my system shows COM3 and COM4 as BlueSoleil Bluetooth Ports, but neither of them is working. So maybe some other problems?

this is the message i get. Any ideas?

Error 0x1 at /home/bob/foo/rxtx-devel/build/../src/t
log4j:WARN No appenders could be found for logger (smslib).
log4j:WARN Please initialize the log4j system properly.

Stable Library
=========================================
Native lib Version = RXTX-2.1-7
Java lib Version   = RXTX-2.1-7

Error 0x1 at /home/bob/foo/rxtx-devel/build/../src/termios.c(2497): Unzulässige Funktion.
Reply #13 - Jul 7th, 2009, 7:47am

place "log4j.properties" in processing folder. that should work.

using my bluetooth software i first connect to my device (my mobile) it tells me which port it connected with.
then i use smslib to communicate.. it worked just fine.
Reply #14 - Jul 7th, 2009, 8:51am

Great, its working.Thanks for helping again and pointing me to the  proberties file. and I had to connect it and set the comport first to make it work. But now i get the messages...

so like i said, its working but i still get these erros :

Error 0x1 at /home/bob/foo/rxtx-devel/build/../src/termios.c(2497): Unzulässige Funktion.
Error 0x1 at /home/bob/foo/rxtx-devel/build/../src/termios.c(249__MOVE__ 1073 220

just in case any idea what that means?
Pages: 1 2 3