We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › importing treemap library
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
importing treemap library (Read 540 times)
importing treemap library
Jun 3rd, 2009, 7:45pm

I've been following the directions for importing a library and getting nowhere.  There are a couple of posts about importing libraries, where the person reports the same problem but either figures it out and doesn't post what happened or they downloaded the wrong file.  Any info about this will be very helpful.

There must be something obvious that I'm just not getting right:

I would post the link to the library, but I haven't posted 5 times yet.  It's on Ben Fry's web site  / writing / treemap / library.zip

I download it and unzip into my sketch's "libraries" folder (I've also tried a "library" directory and pasting the jar file into either.  Restart Processing and look in the sketch>import library tab...nothing.

What am I missing?  It has to be something extremely obvious.

I've tried this on Windows XP and Mac OS X.  

Thanks for looking at my problem.

Re: importing treemap library
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2009, 9:58pm

Everything works for me.

Make sure you're copying it in the right libraries directory.
If you're like ma and have multiple versions of Processing then be careful.

Prior to Processing 1.0, you had to drop the library in the "libraries" folder  directly in the application folder.

When version 1.0 came out, they changed it in order to facilitate upgrading version and now you need to copy the library in your SketchBook Location (find it in Processing's preferences).
It's the same location where all your skectches should be... in there you also have a "libraries" folder.

Unzip all the content and make sure everything is in a folder called "treemap". In it youd should have 3 folders, "library", "reference", and "source". Drag the "treemap" folder in your libraries folder. Open Processing... and it should be there...

Hope it helps
Re: importing treemap library
Reply #2 - Jun 5th, 2009, 2:56am

Thank you, Steven.  Your reply was extremely helpful.  When I upgraded,  I had things working in no time for XP and Mac.  

I keep all of my sketches in a folder called "sketches."  When I created the libraries directory there, they were picked up for import.  
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1