We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Smallest device to run processing
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Smallest device to run processing ? (Read 3138 times)
Smallest device to run processing ?
May 22nd, 2009, 3:19am

Hi all,
just wanted to ask you guys what would be the best device to execute processing programs and fit the hardware in the smallest possible space (to fit in an exposition for example)

I've been looking at this:
eBox-4300
Linux-ready "Fit-PC Slim" (compulab)
But I wanted to know about your opinions and experience. Thanks in advance!
Re: Smallest device to run processing ?
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2009, 10:37pm

I am assuming you mean a full computer?

You can run a full operating system on a motherboard the size of a playing card:
http://www.via.com.tw/en/initiatives/spearhead/pico-itx/

But then, there is also mobile processing...
Reply #2 - May 25th, 2009, 7:13am

Hi im new and my question is similar - can i run processing on a netbook. i perform live visuals with my music but need another laptop to run it but to travelling would rather something small which can still output via some sort of serial to svideo  etc.

anyhelp appreciated. does anyone have it running on a netbook.
Reply #3 - May 31st, 2009, 2:40pm

It depends on the Netbook's Operating System.
Ubuntu or WinXP Netbooks should be absolutely fine, but I dont know if you can install a JavaRuntime on the eeePCs OS.
Reply #4 - May 31st, 2009, 4:23pm

Im using processing on e Samsung NC10. Works pretty good.
Reply #5 - Jun 2nd, 2009, 2:27am

it works - i bought a dell mini 9. now to figure out making sketches runn full screen and then i can output via vga t scart
Reply #6 - Apr 13th, 2010, 12:07am

this thread seemed relevant, so i'm resurrecting it.  i hope someone can help me.

i'm basically building a glorified 8-track.  i will have about 80 small sound files (approx 30Kb each) which will be handled by processing.  input will be handled by arduino.

my original idea was to use a secondhand mac mini, but this board (see next post*) is much smaller and cheaper.  can anyone foresee any problems?

*i'm putting the link in the next post because anti-spam rules don't allow me to put it in this here my first post ever!  :)
Reply #7 - Apr 13th, 2010, 12:07am

this is the board:
http://shop.ngxtechnologies.com/product_info.php?products_id=72
Reply #8 - Apr 17th, 2010, 4:05pm

Is Processing for mobile phones (= not Smartphones) still in development ?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1