We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › performance on win 64, quad core, 8g ram
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
performance on win 64, quad core, 8g ram (Read 1965 times)
performance on win 64, quad core, 8g ram
May 19th, 2009, 4:48pm

HI

I realise there's a note on the troubleshooting page about limitations on the maximum memory available but I am wondering if there are settings somewhere in the computer that could make more hardware available. I just got a new machine that is fully loaded with a quad core 64bit processor and 8 gigs of ram but I can't even get 2g alolocated under the preferences.

I am wondering if anyone else might have a similar setup that has figured out how to get more out of their machines.

thanks for the advice in advance.
Re: performance on win 64, quad core, 8g ram
Reply #1 - May 19th, 2009, 6:54pm

I think there is a 64 bit Java... you'll probably need that to extend it's capabilities.  Not sure if that's been tested with Processing though...
Reply #2 - May 20th, 2009, 2:37pm

thanks! I'm going to look into that. Just out of curiosity, why wouldn't it work with processing?
Reply #3 - May 21st, 2009, 2:09pm

Processing can be picky about the java versions sometimes.  Like if a library is compiled with 1.6 or something.  I would expect it would work... just haven't seen it discussed.
Reply #4 - May 23rd, 2009, 5:03am

It ought to work with a newer release of java. It's backwards compatibility that can be a bit tricky if people compile their code for the new version.

Java will use multiple cores only if your application is multithreaded. In other words, if you only have the main thread doing all of the work, then it'll just run on one of the cores.

The default limitation on Java heapspace is relatively small, but you won't get any direct benefits from increasing the allocated memory unless you actually get an OutOfMemory exception in your application.
You will need to use a 64-bit JVM if you want to use all of your 8 gigs of RAM.

Welcome to the once again modern challenge of parallel programming ;)
Reply #5 - May 26th, 2009, 12:11pm

i tried processing 1.0.3 + java 64bit : jdk 6u 13 + i7 920 ,8gb ram + windows xp 64 bit and it is not working for me -  processing program starts with splash screen and then just quit.

- does anybody working with 64 bit java + processing ?

- also tried with 64 bit vista - same problem Sad
Reply #6 - May 28th, 2009, 10:13am

dumb question, but how do you use more than one thread in your application?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1