We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpIntegration › Applet compiled in Eclipse running much slower
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Applet compiled in Eclipse running much slower (Read 986 times)
Applet compiled in Eclipse running much slower
May 16th, 2009, 9:20am

Hello,

I've made an application with some custom classes in the Processing IDE using the traer.physics library. The applications runs fine when compiled in Processing.
Since I want to use Eclipse for larger projects I've ported the application to an Eclipse project. When I compile the application in Eclipse (on os x) using java 1.5.0 the same application runs MUCH slower. Can someone tell me what can be the cause of this slowdown? I am relatively new to processing and java. Thanks in advance.
Re: Applet compiled in Eclipse running much slower
Reply #1 - May 16th, 2009, 9:58am

I see no reason for running slower. Do you launch the program from within Eclipse? With Run or with Debug? The latter might be slower, perhaps.
Reply #2 - May 16th, 2009, 10:36am

@PhiLho: I launch the applet within Eclipse with the Run command.
Reply #3 - May 16th, 2009, 10:45am

OK, solved the problem I think. I did run it as an applet, not as an application. After adding

Code:
static public void main(String args[]) {
PApplet.main(new String[] { "--bgcolor=#FFFFFF", "PictureMatrix2" });
}

and running it as an application instead of an applet it runs at the expected speed.  Smiley
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1