We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › getLineIn() and OS X default audio input
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
getLineIn() and OS X default audio input (Read 1341 times)
getLineIn() and OS X default audio input
May 15th, 2009, 9:38am

Hi,

I just started playing with Processing and am trying to make a simple music visualization. Since I seem to be unable to read the signal that is sent to audio output* (music playing in iTunes and all the other sounds), I thought I'd settle for listening to line-in. So I changed line-in to be my computer's default audio input instead of built-in microphone, made sure it worked (with a screen saver that visualizes default input signal) and started fiddling with Processing.

To my surprise getLineIn() function still used the input from microphone instead of that from line-in. Is there anything I can do about this? Is this a bug or a feature?

I suppose this could be a OS related issue so maybe someone with a Mac could try changing the Default Input in Application>Utilities>Audio/MIDI Setup and running the GetLineIn Minim example while banging his or her head on the table or something.

*Has anyone been able to achieve this on OS X by the way? I figured I'd need something similar to Stereo Mix in Windows and a program called Soundflower seemed promising. Didn't get it to work with Processing though. Most likely because getLineIn() isn't operating like it should in the first place..

I'm running OS X 10.4 (Tiger).

Thanks beforehand,

Tomi
Re: getLineIn() and OS X default audio input
Reply #1 - May 23rd, 2009, 6:30pm

Yeah I ran into a very similar issue with Minim. I think it does with the way minim is built on top of Java Sound API which I think uses whatever the default device is. To get around this I just ended up using Sonya which will use whichever audio device is selected in System Preferences.

It was a fairly easy swap out.

Hope that helps.

-adam
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1