We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProcessing DevelopmentLibraries,  Tool Development › Question about Examples and Reference menus
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Question about Examples and Reference menus (Read 1167 times)
Question about Examples and Reference menus
May 13th, 2009, 3:09pm

Hi,

I used the Library Template to create and install the 'Hello' library.  Clear instructions, easy to follow.

I was able to see in Sketch > Import Library > hello, so things were in the right location (the user's Processing directory).  I have 2 questions:

1. I expected to see in File > Examples the Hello examples, is this expectation correct?

2. I also expected to see (somewhere?) in the References the documentation from the reference directory.

Of course the user can navigate to the directory and find the examples and documentation, but I was under the impression, perhaps incorrectly, that the examples and references would also be available from the menu.

Thanks!
Gord Turner.
Re: Question about Examples and Reference menus
Reply #1 - May 14th, 2009, 5:36am

1. No. Examples from the libraries I installed just go to Sketchbook > libraries. Processing walks recursively all the sub-folders of the sketchbook to find the sketches.

2. I don't think it is implemented. There is even no defined standard for the documentation, I see the libraries I have put it in 'doc', 'docs', 'documentation' or 'reference' folders (with a majority on 'documentation' though).
Re: Question about Examples and Reference menus
Reply #2 - May 14th, 2009, 7:11am

@PhiLho Thanks for your answers,

1. Ah, I see them now under:

File > Sketchbook > libraries > hello > examples > ...

I don't think I would have found them there.

(A side note, I guess I had a bit of a disconnect between 'Sketchbook' and my folder called 'Processing', didn't realize that they are the same.)

2. The Library Guidelines (dev.processing.org/libraries/guidelines.html) appear to recommend 'reference' with the contents being javadocs.  I guess they are not 'integrated' to the rest of the reference documentation yet.

Thanks again,
G.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1