We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSyntax Questions › Output to 2nd display
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Output to 2nd display (Read 903 times)
Output to 2nd display
May 10th, 2009, 10:30pm

How do I switch between having the screen() going to my main display versus a secondary display, and switching to full screen?
Re: Output to 2nd display
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2009, 1:56am

Perhaps with the » Most Pixels Ever library
Reply #2 - May 11th, 2009, 7:15am

Thanks, PhiLho.  Am I right in assuming MPE library requires 2 computers for 2 displays?  Can Processing/Java support 2 displays on 1 computer?
Reply #3 - May 11th, 2009, 7:54am

Ah, I wasn't aware of this requirement... (I haven't used it.) It makes sense for performance (beyond two screens...) but it is constraining for light hardware configurations!

Well, I just searched the forum (with multiple monitors, not forgetting to search "all time" posts) and found a full screen library apparently able to spawn multiple monitors: fullscreen api.
Reply #4 - May 12th, 2009, 5:08pm

Thanks, PhiLho.  I used your search suggestion, and after a lot of experimentation and more search, and more experimentation, found a solution for my needs.  I've posted it on another thread that led me to the solution (that original approach no longer works with the new Processing 1.0.3, so I've posted the changes needed).

The fullscreen api unfortunately does not do what I need.  As others have pointed out more adequately, it requires both screens to be displaying the same thing.  I could have done that (and in fact that was what I did during a recent performance) using the 'present' mode and a mirror mode of the displays without using a single new line of code.

btw, the MPE library was very interesting.  I may try it when I have a need for it in the future...
Reply #5 - May 13th, 2009, 1:16am

Note: somebody had an issue with the MPE tutorial so I checked it.
They start by demonstrating it with one computer connected to two screens, so it should be usable in this setup.
The trick is to start two clients on the same computer (with different settings, of course).
Reply #6 - May 26th, 2009, 10:39am

GiveMeMore wrote on May 12th, 2009, 5:08pm:
Thanks, PhiLho.  I used your search suggestion, and after a lot of experimentation and more search, and more experimentation, found a solution for my needs.  I've posted it on another thread that led me to the solution (that original approach no longer works with the new Processing 1.0.3, so I've posted the changes needed).

The fullscreen api unfortunately does not do what I need.  As others have pointed out more adequately, it requires both screens to be displaying the same thing.  I could have done that (and in fact that was what I did during a recent performance) using the 'present' mode and a mirror mode of the displays without using a single new line of code.

btw, the MPE library was very interesting.  I may try it when I have a need for it in the future...

I'm trying to actually do the same thing and having some problems. Can you elaborate more on the mirror mode display settings you used
Reply #7 - May 27th, 2009, 9:25am

Mr. Lo,
This is the other thread:
http://processing.org/discourse/yabb2/num_1185318989.html#6

Mirror mode is a setting in the operating system for the display component: it can be set to either mirror (i.e. both displays the same) or pan (both displays different).  You activate it thru the O/S.

Without knowing further what problems you encountered, it is hard to guess what further can help you.  Is it the borders of the window, or the top banner (line) of the window, that is bothering you
Reply #8 - May 27th, 2009, 9:43am

Gothca! The border was bothering me. I want both screens maximized on their own monitors and I'm running 2 screens per computer. The set location looks like what I'm looking for.

Thanks for the link!
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1