We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpOther Libraries › where's the libraries folder
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
where's the libraries folder? (Read 4812 times)
where's the libraries folder?
May 10th, 2009, 6:30pm

i'm trying to install the blobDetection library which involves copying files to  'processing's libraries folder' which i cannot find anywhere. i'm using a mac with processing 1.0.3 - when i search my mac for any file called 'libraries' i find nothing. where is this folder and how might i install this library?
Re: where's the libraries folder?
Reply #1 - May 11th, 2009, 1:16am

To quote Libraries:
Quote:
Contributed libraries must be [...] placed within the "libraries" folder of your Processing sketchbook (where you put your sketch, snipped how to find it) Copy the contributed library's folder into the "libraries" folder at this location. You will need to create the "libraries" folder if this is your first contributed library.
Reply #2 - May 11th, 2009, 1:22am

Hi!

As explained in the reference for contributed libraries (which you may find at http://processing.org/reference/libraries/) :

Contributed libraries must be downloaded separately and placed within the "libraries" folder of your Processing sketchbook. To find the Processing sketchbook location on your computer, open the Preferences window from the Processing application and look for the "Sketchbook location" item at the top. Copy the contributed library's folder into the "libraries" folder at this location. You will need to create the "libraries" folder if this is your first contributed library.

By default, on you mac, the Processing sketchbook location shall be:

/Users/<your_username>/Documents/Processing/

If you don't have a "libraries" folder in that folder (whose path woud hence be /Users/<your_username>/Documents/Processing/libraries), you need to create it.

Libraries are then to be placed under that folder. As an example, for the library "lmu"(which gives access to readings from your mac's light sensor), the resulting folder structure would look something like:

/Users/<your_username>/Documents/Processing/libraries/lmu
/Users/<your_username>/Documents/Processing/libraries/lmu/library
/Users/<your_username>/Documents/Processing/libraries/lmu/library/lmu.jar
/Users/<your_username>/Documents/Processing/libraries/lmu/library/libLmuTrackerL
ib.jnilib

Reply #3 - May 17th, 2009, 8:13pm

I'm a noob to Processing, and have had trouble with this too. Some libs i install *are* found by the import statement, others aren't.
So, going from this last example,can we definitely say, as of release 1.0, the library  structure has to be (ignoring the possibilitiy of more esoteric alternative) :
   <PathToProcessingSketchFolder>/Processing/libraries/<LibName>/library/<LibName>.
jar

?  thnks.
Reply #4 - May 18th, 2009, 1:15am

Uh? No, it should be more like:
<PathToProcessingSketchFolder>/libraries/<LibName>/library/<LibName>.jar
(without the "Processing" part).
I can't pretend having tried everything, but the above scheme works well for the dozen of libraries I tested so far.
The hard part for some people seems to be finding the <PathToProcessingSketchFolder>.
I think case must be respected too.
Reply #5 - May 21st, 2009, 6:48am

i've encountered this problem at least ten times with students since its inclusion in processing. when i get home i'll try to remember to post a bug report: processing should check if the libraries folder is there on startup, and if it isn't, it should create it. just as there is a "show sketch folder" menu command, there should be a "show libraries folder" command.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1