We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Making Processsing Portable
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Making Processsing Portable (Read 1807 times)
Making Processsing Portable
May 6th, 2009, 10:04pm

I have been working the past few weeks on making Processing run off of a flash drive, with no dependencies on the host machine, at all.

I was wondering, is there a way to force Processing to store the preferences.txt and the "scrapbook" files on the flash drive, rather than:

"C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Processsing"
and
C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\My Documents\Processing"?
Re: Making Processsing Portable
Reply #1 - May 7th, 2009, 7:30am

Don't know, very difficult for librairies and other stuffs
Reply #2 - May 7th, 2009, 7:52am

You should look at the Commander class (not too sure how to use it...).
Reply #3 - Jun 9th, 2009, 2:27pm

Have you tried making those paths just relative paths? I remember I was able to do it a while ago but I found it ran too slowly from the flash drive as it has to compile to files on disk.
Reply #4 - Jun 14th, 2009, 1:38pm

You should be able to override the default settings by carefully editing the file <processing>\lib\preferences.txt. This is like a master preferences file. The relevant part for you is a quarter of the way down the file:

Code:
# if you don't want settings to go into "application data" on windows
# and "library" on macosx, set this to the alternate location.
#settings.path=data

I haven't tried this, but in theory you can take the following steps:

1. Copy your entire processing folder to your portable drive.
2. Copy your user folder's preferences.txt to somewhere new on the portable drive.
3. Edit the portable drives's <processing>\lib\preferences.txt, by uncommenting that settings.path line and replacing "data" with the path to the portable copy of your user folder's preferences.txt file.
4. Save the file. Don't worry about the other settings, as they can be changed in the PDE.
5. Start the PDE from the portable drive, and change those other settings such as sketchbook location.
6. Remember to backup everything before even attempting any of the above.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1