We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Which books to buy first
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Which books to buy first? (Read 1715 times)
Which books to buy first?
Apr 30th, 2009, 2:13pm

Hello, I've just gotten started with Processing, but I have very little background in actual programming. I'm decent at Max/MSP and Jitter but that is not really the same thing. SO for somebody getting started with Java, I've got my eye on the Reas and Fry book, as well as the Ira Greenberg one.

From the sample chapters I've looked at, It seems like the Reas and Fry one assumes that you know a bit about java first, while the Greenberg one seems to spend a good amount of time teaching you the basics (I can only tell this by the table of contents). Am I wrong in assuming this? On one hand I like the interviews and broader topics covered in the Reas and Fry book, on the other hand, I'd like a gentle ease into the java coding language, which I believe I will get from the Ira Greenberg book.
Which book should I buy first if I intend on getting both?

Thanks!
Re: Which books to buy first?
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2009, 3:30pm

I own both the books, and like both of them.  In my opinion:
I think the Reas\Fry book is a gentler introduction to the subject, while Greenbergs takes things a little bit further, but is a bit looser in his example style.  I think it's hard to say which is better than the other, you can gain valuable info from both.  Of course there's Shiffman's book as well, which I don't own, but have looked at:  It seems to be an even "more beginner" book than Reas\Fry's (with more visual teaching examples), but not that that's a bad thing:  It's all about what you want to get out of it.  As an asside, I don't think any of them presume you know any thing about programming:  They all start you at the beginning and work up.  Lucky thing is, I don't think you can go wrong with any of them Wink  Have fun
Reply #2 - May 1st, 2009, 3:00pm

Ah, good response, you have eased my fears.
I ordered the Reas and Fry one, for now...

I'm excited to join in with all the discourse goin' on 'round here!
Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2009, 11:56am

I've got Shiffman's book and I think it's much better coz of the examples.  But to each his own i guess....
Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2009, 11:48pm

Learning Processing by Daniel Shiffman is something you need to start with, without a doubt.
Reply #5 - May 4th, 2009, 3:35am

I second jminators post, Shiffman's book is a good starting point for sure, especially if you're "a bit thick" like me! (i kid!)
Reply #6 - May 7th, 2009, 7:34am

I recomment the last edited one, Processing : Programming handbook for... on the homepage.

I bought it, and it helps me for a lot of things, also little one
Reply #7 - May 13th, 2009, 6:33pm

I was going to ask the same question! I'm almost done with the Reas/Fry book, and I have "Visualizing Data" by Ben Fry all lined up ready to go, but I'm wondering if this might be too big a leap? Is there another Processing book which might better follow the Reas/Fry book?
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1