We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionEvents,  Publications,  Opportunities › August 2009 Exhibition Opportunity
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
August 2009 Exhibition Opportunity (Read 1653 times)
August 2009 Exhibition Opportunity
Apr 28th, 2009, 2:31pm

Hi,

I am looking for multiple collaborators to work on a piece for an exhibition in August:

Seeking programmers for a blind collaborative generative art piece. Up to 16 coders will each be given a piece of screen real estate to fill with whatever they find interesting. The only restrictions are that the tile they receive must blend seamlessly with the surrounding tiles and that the algorithm used must be time based--so no static image generators. Since the collaborators will not know what the surrounding tiles will look like they will have to process a passed array of pixels from adjacent tiles and adjust their output to match.

For more information on me, see sato.asap.um.maine.edu/witoutborders/johnbell.html
To apply, see sato.asap.um.maine.edu/witoutborders/toapply.html

(Sorry I can't post active links, you'll have to copy/paste)

Thanks,
- John
Re: August 2009 Exhibition Opportunity
Reply #1 - Apr 30th, 2009, 9:13am

I really like this idea. It sounds very interesting and I'll be excited to see the final product. Have any collaborators signed on yet?

Also I kinda wondered how it would work technically. I wondered how much of the other tile's pixels are sent to each collaborator. How many adjoining tiles would the pixels come from?
Reply #2 - May 4th, 2009, 12:57pm

Hi Rick,

I've gotten a couple of applications, but I haven't really reviewed them yet since the deadline is on the 15th.

I'm still working on the technical part...right now I'm thinking of using Dan Schiffman's Most Pixels Ever library to control and merge the output from each of the individual pieces.  The merged canvas would have a 'flow' to it, so each piece would get pixels from at most two edges...for instance, an independent generator with no inputs might be the top left piece, and in that case each of the other pieces would receive pixels from the top and/or left sides as the output flows down and right across the master canvas.  I suspect the number of pixels each piece gets to work with is going to be performance-limited...my goal would be to give a stripe of maybe 20 pixels from each input edge.  But as you can probably tell, we're in the very early stages of the project.
Reply #3 - May 4th, 2009, 8:15pm

I'm interested in applying, but don't have any previous 'art' works. I do some VJ/visuals stuff but haven't done an installation.

Have a look at some sample Processing sketches on my blog. The Origami Butterfly may interest you (not my idea, I just optimised and animated it).

Are you talking about running something over multiple screens with multiple machines running it, or just a single video output And when you say it should be time based, is there also a requirement that it run in "real-time" (eg some minimum frames per second)

You could possibly provide a base class that has the input and output pixel arrays defined within it, and something like update() and draw() methods; each coder would then simply (or not so simply!) extend that base class and your calling code just plugs them in and calls the methods. This could even allow for shuffling of the tiles within the matrix.

-spxl
Reply #4 - May 5th, 2009, 8:29am

I have a suggestion, too. Hopefully I can describe it clearly enough. The tops of all the topmost tiles and the lefts of all the leftmost tiles will have no input attached. Similarly the outputs on the bottoms of all the bottommost tiles and the rights of all the rightmost tiles will not be attached to anything, so why not feed those into the topmosts and leftmosts creating a loop.

I assume at least some tiles would produce some form of elementary output even when not receiving data on their pixel input (or when receiving "blank" data) which would get the whole flow going.
Reply #5 - May 5th, 2009, 10:13am

subpixel:  No prior installation work isn't a problem; the collaborators will essentially just be working on their own visualization projects that I'll merge together later.  By all means, go ahead and apply.  Visuals stuff is good.  Smiley

For your other questions:
- I'm looking at multiple machines and screens, connected by an MPE server
- By time-based I mostly just meant not static.  This project needs moving pixels in order to work, the more the better.  It should be able to run at some reasonable frame rate, again because more motion will create more interaction between tiles.  I need to look into MPE more to see if it allows things like different frame rates, but each tile should end up running on its own machine anyway so that should help.  
- Like I said, the tech side of it is still being worked out, partially because I want the collaborators to have some input on the process.  I have thought about creating a base class that can be extended since that seems like a good way of handling it (as well as a simulator so you can see how well your tile blends with the input data) but that's something that will be worked out when the project starts.

Rick:  Looping the canvas may be the best way to do it, I think it depends on the specific generators that end up being included in the piece.  I definitely want to try it and see how it looks.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1