We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpSound,  Music Libraries › installing ProMidi 2.0
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
installing ProMidi 2.0 (Read 2305 times)
installing ProMidi 2.0
Apr 28th, 2009, 12:37pm

Hello

I'm having a hard time getting ProMidi 2.0 going on a mac. I've read through threads on ProMidi but it seems like most problems are coming from people who have managed to get it running. I'm not there yet.

I've tried on both a PowerPC running 10.4.11 and on a MacBook Pro running 10.5.6. I've added mmj.jar to Main/Library/Java/Extensions on both. On the PowerPC I also added plumstoneserv.jar, and ran the Mandolane installer on the MacBook.

When I run the example promidi.pde (on either computer) I get the error

ClassNotFoundException: processing.core.PApplet

and in the console:

2009-04-28 12:09:16.975 java[21001] CFLog (0): CFMessagePort: bootstrap_register(): failed 1103 (0x44f), port = 0x11503, name = 'java.ServiceProvider'
See /usr/include/servers/bootstrap_defs.h for the error codes.
2009-04-28 12:09:16.976 java[21001] CFLog (99): CFMessagePortCreateLocal(): failed to name Mach port (java.ServiceProvider)
Exception in thread "Animation Thread" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: processing/core/PApplet
     at promidi.MidiIO.<init>(MidiIO.java:103)
     at promidi.MidiIO.getInstance(MidiIO.java:148)
     at promidi.setup(promidi.java:29)
     at processing.core.PApplet.handleDraw(PApplet.java:1400)
     at processing.core.PApplet.run(PApplet.java:1328)
     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

I'm fairly new to Processing but have been having good luck picking it up. I don't know anything about java or importing libraries though so am not even sure where my problem might be. (I.e. on the textone.org page it says to unzip the file into my processing libraries folder. Where is that? Putting it into Library/Java/Extensions gets rid of the error saying 'The package "promidi" does not exist. You might be missing a library.' But maybe that's not the right location?)

Please help!
thanks

Dickbird
Re: installing ProMidi 2.0
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2009, 2:36pm

Well naturally soon after posting for help I've figured out one of the big problems I was having. I was unzipping proMidi into the Java/Extensions folder before, but now know to show the contents of the Proccessing.app package and find the libraries folder in there.

I'm still getting errors when I run the example .pde's, but I'm hoping they'll be relatively easy fixes.

hopefully this is helpful to someone...
Reply #2 - Apr 30th, 2009, 4:34pm

Ok,

Then I found this thread:
processing.org/discourse/yabb2/num_1146950996_.html

that discusses most of the problems I was having trying to get proMidi to work. Very helpful. It appears to be working now. The proMidi examples are running without errors.

If I were to go back a couple days, these are the tips I'd have wanted for installing proMidi on an Intel Mac using Processing 1.0.1:
-First, install the proMidi library. Download it here:
texone.org/promidi/promidi_mac.zip
(which i found on this thread:
processing.org/discourse/yabb2/num_1188575049.html
(Note!: this is a different .zip than the one on texone's main proMidi page!))
Then option click on the processing app and choose "show package contents." Drop the entire unzipped folder "promidi" into Contents/Resources/Java/libraries. Within processing you should now be able to choose promidi from the Sketch/Import Library menu.

Halfway there! You can open the library but (from what I understand) Midi and Java still won't communicate. The first thread I mentioned above has a lot of discussion about how to make that happen. From what i gathered there are 3 options- 1) a library called mmj (humatic.de/htools/mmj.htm) 2) the free version of Mandolane (mandolane.co.uk/swMandoMidi.html) and 3) the pay version of Mandolane(same link). Here's what I found!: Option 3 works, options 1 and 2 do not. Someone who knows more java than I do (read: any) might be able to make 1 or 2 work, I could not. The not-free version of Mandolane costs about $7, and probably would have saved me about 7 hours. Mandolane is easy to install.
Reply #3 - Aug 3rd, 2009, 9:40am

I've been trying to download the mac promidi library for weeks from texone.org/promidi/promidi_mac.zip but I just keep getting a "web site currently not available" error. Does anyone happen to have the downloaded library they could share with me?
Reply #4 - Aug 4th, 2009, 4:58am

http://processing.org/discourse/yabb2/num_1249071654.html

can someone please update the reference pages to point to the new locations
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1