We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexSuggestions & BugsWebsite,  Documentation,  Book Bugs › Problems with Reference:Video Library
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Problems with Reference:Video Library (Read 1833 times)
Problems with Reference:Video Library
Apr 28th, 2009, 12:23pm

In a nutshell: The sample code in Reference:Libraries:Video for Capture.list() doesn't work with my MacBook's built-in iSight camera. Some of the example code distributed with the Processing 1.0.3 application does.

Details: I was curious to see how the built-in iSight shows up in Capture.list() so I cut and pasted the following code from the Reference entry for Capture.list():

Quote:
import processing.video.*;

void setup() {
 size(200, 200);
 print(Capture.list()); [/color]
}

When I ran the code, I got the following message in the console: [Ljava.lang.String;@e2161d

So I went to the main entry for Capture in the Reference and cut and pasted the following code. I uncommented the println() statement and ran it.

Quote:
Capture myCapture;

void setup()
{
 size(200, 200);

myCapture = new Capture(this, width, height, 30);

// The name of the capture device is dependent those
 // plugged into the computer. To get a list of the
 // choices, uncomment the following line
 println(Capture.list());
 // And to specify the camera, replace "Camera Name"
 // in the next line with one from Capture.list()
 // myCapture = new Capture(this, width, height, "Camera Name", 30);
}

void captureEvent(Capture myCapture) {
 myCapture.read();
}

void draw() {
 image(myCapture, 0, 0);
}

This came back with the println() statement highlighted and an error in the status bar: Couldn't find any capture devices, read the video reference for more info. Ha, that's where I got the code! (I love recursion!) There was also a long list of Java exceptions in the console window.

After a bunch of scratching my head, trying other code, searching the site and the 'Net, blaming Canada, etc., I found the following code that does seem to work. It's from the built-in examples, File/Examples/Libraries/Video (Capture)/GettingStartedCapture. (I've edited it down to just the part about listing the devices).

Quote:

Capture cam;

void setup() {
  size(640, 480);

String[] devices = Capture.list();
  println(devices);
}

void draw() {

This gives the expected(?) result:

[0] "DV Video"
[1] "IIDC FireWire Video"
[2] "USB Video Class Video"

(I put a question mark after "expected" because I was expecting to only see devices that were connected.)

Conclusion: I am definitely not an expert in any of this, but my assumption is that this has something to do with needing to cast the return of Capture.list() to a string, and the Reference entries need to be updated. (And I'll bet there is a lot of code in the Reference and examples and everywhere else that has this same problem.)

MacBook 13" (built-in iSight)
OS X 10.5.6
QT 7.6 (Pro)
Java 1.5.0_16
Processing 1.0.3
Re: Problems with Reference:Video Library
Reply #1 - Oct 18th, 2009, 10:39am

The problem was the reference for list() needing a println(), not a print(). This should work:

void setup() {
size(200, 200);
println(Capture.list()); [/color]
}

And I've updated this for the next round.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1