We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexProgramming Questions & HelpPrograms › Help required for my term project
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Help required for my term project (Read 761 times)
Help required for my term project
Apr 21st, 2009, 6:51am

Hello
Before I start i want to say sory if i created my topic on a wrong section and for my poor english.

Im a 3rd grade visual communication design student.I need to make a term project for my multimedia design course.I planned something but i havent started to make.

Im going to try to explain my project.

I will use some webcams , wear a white cloth and gloves codded with some colors .Specially color codes will be on my hands and fingers.I will prepare a ligthed space and ill use always same ligthing conditions.Basicly the idea is when i move my hands or fingers computer will understand that i want to click an icon on my computers desktop.
 Im trying to make a operating system ( not whole system only a demo version with limited abilities ) which can be used by webcams.No keyboard or mouse. Copy pasting texts , selecting areas with fingers , deleting text files like your getting rid of a useless paper , deleting video files like your breaking a useless tape , changing sound volume level like your doing it with a real circle button are some examples.Only these examples will be codded not whole of the O.S.

My questions are :
can i make it with processing ? ( with no knowlage of it )
can u offer some sources?
how long does it take for me to make it ?

thanks
Re: Help required for my term project
Reply #1 - Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:14pm

I think It's possible for computer to find the position of your finger - It's a simple work with pixels in Processing, but you want to interact with other program's environment. Processing is not the best program for doing it.
Re: Help required for my term project
Reply #2 - Apr 22nd, 2009, 1:51pm

your intention is really developing an os? you could simulate it with processing with some knowledge of the language... there is pretty much you will need to implement for a simulation of this sort to work. however it would not work as an os per se; it could work as a metaphor, perhaps: you could introduce your idea visually, but it will not behave as an actual operational system.

as for recognition of gestures and colors, it seems much more processing-like. completely viable.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1