We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionGeneral Discussion,  Status › Processing no longer runs, java error
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Processing no longer runs, java error (Read 717 times)
Processing no longer runs, java error
Apr 15th, 2009, 4:42pm

Hi, I just realized Processing no longer works when I try to run a program.  That is, the editor loads up fine, but then I get an error when I try to run any code that I load up.

The most annoying thing is that I know I caused this error, but I'm not sure what I did that caused it.  Processing was definitely working a week ago, but try as I might and can't figure out which thing I did over the past week is the problem.  I've tried reverting everything I can remember, but clearly I can't remember the one thing that matters.

Anyway, here is the error that Processing spits out:

Exception in thread "Thread-4" java.lang.Error: Unable to launch target VM: java.io.IOException: java: not found
     at processing.app.debug.Runner.launchVirtualMachine(Runner.java:410)
     at processing.app.debug.Runner.launch(Runner.java:122)
     at processing.app.Editor$43.run(Editor.java:1572)
     at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:613)

I'm really hoping someone might know how I can fix this.  Thanks!

ADDITION: I'm thinking of trying the Archive and Reinstall function on the install disc.  Hopefully that'll fix the problem.

ADDITION2: fantastic, after waiting hours for the install to finish, and then a while for software updates, no change.

Well, on the bright side that narrows the problem down a bit.  The archive/reinstall preserves everything in user folders and applications and replaces everything else, so the problem must be in my user folder.  Probably I accidentally messed something up in my environment settings, since I was futzing around with those settings yesterday in order to get Python working right.  Gotta love that; fix one thing, break something else.
Re: Processing no longer runs, java error
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2009, 7:22am

Additional information I've discovered since then: As a test I tried creating a new user account and running Processing from there.  It worked fine.  So now I'm thinking I'll just start copying over settings from the new account until Processing starts working on my old account.  I realize fiddling under the hood like that is dangerous however so I'm not planning to start doing this unless nobody has any better suggestions by tomorrow evening.

ADDITION: yay I figured it out!  So the problem was with my ~/.MacOS/environment.plist file I had messed with a bit to get Python setup.  I had unwittingly erased the default PATH setting, so I needed to add back in /bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1