We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Minim performance? (Read 930 times)
Minim performance?
Apr 10th, 2009, 10:11am

Hello

The Minim library is very cool but I have problems with latency. I've tried triggering a sound by using AudioSample but I get quite big delays. If I load the example in Processing and press K, it takes somewhere around 0.2-0.5 second before the sound actually starts. I've tried with a sound file that has been trimmed to start immediately but still with too much delay. Is it something with my computer (Eee900, Eeebuntu, LXDE, ALSA) or do I have to use a library with better performance if they exist?

It's quite interesting because there's no delay if we send the trigger command over OSC to another machine running a sketch that catches the OSC commands and passes them to Ableton Live via MIDI. This has much better performance.
Re: Minim performance?
Reply #1 - Apr 10th, 2009, 11:59am

Ok, I've tried to get SONIA to work on my Eeebuntu(Ubuntu, Linux) installation. I can get the library to import but it keeps saying that I don't have Jsyn installed. I have both Sun Java 6 JRE and JDK installed but I'm not sure exactly where to put the files from the archive I've got with Jsyn for Linux. I can get the sample in the "usercode" folder to compile and works perfectly but I don't know how to link it to Processing.

Does anybody have an idea of what files I need to put where? Help would be very appreciated. Smiley
Reply #2 - Apr 16th, 2009, 5:26am

I've now tried installing ESS to see if it would be better. However, nothing really seems to be working. I've placed it in my <sketch folder>/libraries and it shows up as an import in Processing. For instance, when I run the SoundFile sample i get:

"The function write(AudioStream) does not exist"

In other samples I get different errors. I'm afraid maybe ESS has not been updated to the newer versions of Processing.

Can anybody provide info on how to install jsyn on Ubuntu (or just linux in general) or any other way to get sound feedback with reasonably low latency?
Reply #3 - Apr 16th, 2009, 5:46am

Hehe, I got SONIA to work by trial and error and it was pretty simple after all... this is how to do it, in case somebody needs it...

When you download Jsyn for Linux there is a folder called "Lib". Inside this I had a file called "libJSynV142.so" (the name might change in the future if it is updated it seems but it is the only file in the folder so use this). Copy it and simply paste it in your SONIA folder. For instance, mine was placed in:

<sketch folder>/libraries/sonia_v2_9/library

It seems to work for me now. Smiley
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1