We closed this forum 18 June 2010. It has served us well since 2005 as the ALPHA forum did before it from 2002 to 2005. New discussions are ongoing at the new URL http://forum.processing.org. You'll need to sign up and get a new user account. We're sorry about that inconvenience, but we think it's better in the long run. The content on this forum will remain online.
IndexDiscussionExhibition › GUI for processing
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
GUI for processing (Read 4393 times)
GUI for processing
Apr 1st, 2009, 11:15am

My first experience with Processing was last December and I was very impressed with the examples that came with it, particularly the 3D stuff like Toroid.
I thought it would be nice if there was a set of GUI components that could be used to control the various toroid control variables at run time.
I decided to create my own library not realising at the time there were already 2 such libraries out there.
Anyway the library is written and provides the usual labels, textfields, sliders, checkboxes and option groups but also a collapsible movable panel object to group them visually.
I would like to thank JeffG (the first user of G4P) for his patience and faith in trying to get it working with Peasycam a 3D orbiting camera library.
Anyway you can see my efforts at http://gui4processing.lagers.org.uk and the source code is at http://gui4processing.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/
Re: GUI for processing
Reply #1 - Apr 1st, 2009, 3:54pm

Works great and has some nice features!  Smiley
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2009, 2:48pm

Hello guys! I'm not sure will it be right to ask about this here, but something works wrong in my code.  Smiley
 I just wanted to draw circles and boxes, but when I use commands
"ellipseMode(CENTER);"  or  "rectMode(CENTER);"  anywhere in the sketch the guis have scattered on pieces. Shocked
 You may take any example sketch of G4P and put there that commands. How can I fix that ???
Reply #3 - May 1st, 2009, 5:51am

But of cource I think this GUIs are very good,  especially for 3D.Smiley
Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2009, 8:34am

The following code should fix the problem - make sure all your gaphics code is between the pushStyle() and popStyle() commands and that the G4P.draw() is the last command.

Code:

void draw(){
   background(160);

pushStyle();

rectMode(CENTER);
   stroke(0);
   fill(255);
   strokeWeight(2);
   rect(280,280,40,40);

popStyle();

G4P.draw(); // draw the GUI
}

I am currently working on the next version (1.3) of GUI for Processing which will include combo boxes and I will look at a more permanent fix to the problem.
Smiley
Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2009, 7:17am

Thanks alot! I'm also interested is it possible to put GUIs inside my own class There is topic I've created: http://processing.org/discourse/yabb2/num_1241191721.html#0
Reply #6 - May 6th, 2009, 6:06am

Looks great!

I would suggest, perhaps, making the mouse cursor change on mouseover, if possible.

Might help with recognition of the controls.
Reply #7 - May 11th, 2009, 11:31am

Glad you liked it. Cheesy

I like the mouse cursor idea, it should be straightforward to implement (famous last words!) and if possible I will include in the next version. Thanks

I have just released version 1.3 of the library. It now includes combo boxes (drop down lists) and a activity bar (program is busy bar).

I have had some feedback from people using G4P and I have improved its behavior in both 2D and 3D rendering modes. In earlier versions user programs could affect G4P's display and visa-versa.

I have also modified the website to include a showcase applet to quickly give potential users a visual interactive overview of the libraries capabilities.

Click here gui4processing.lagers.org.uk for the showcase.
Smiley

Reply #8 - May 11th, 2009, 11:47am

Awesome Smiley
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1